Need help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyfishnj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:?: Exactly what kind of lighting would you say would be good for a 30L tank? I want to be able to keep corals, SPS and such. Not too sure on the clams or anything. Please help!

Well a good general rule of thumb is 5 watts of light to every gallon of water. IMO I prefer PC. They are not as expensive as MH, and I have been told they last longer. MH also gives off a large amount of heat so you will have to keep an eye on that. PC does give off heat but not in the amount that you will have to worry.

All corals are diffent so you will have to research to see the preferred lighting for them.

But Bubble coral, Green star Polyp coral, Mushroom coral, some brain coral are just an example of what is good with PC lighting. There are a lot more corals that this lighting is ecceptable for.

But being a 30 gallon tank I strongly recommend the Power Compact, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Depending on the species of SPS you want to keep, you can go with PC, VHO or MH. For the most light intensive acros and clams MH will be a must. Most montis, stylophora, Seriatopora, Pavona, Pocillipora and Hydnophora can easily be kept with PC or VHO.

lighting for a 29 gallon tank

Hi,
I have a 29 gallon marineland tank. Its the Eclipse system which comes with the hood and the filteration system. I want to keep the hood. I came across smartlite Retrofit systems with 1 65 Watt 50/50 combo light.

Simply dividing 65 /29 gives me around 2.24 watt per gallon. Is this okay? I also have a 3-4 inch sand substrate. Would that effectively bring down the overall volume? if yes, then the watts per gallon would be around say 3.5 per gallon.

What can I keep with this lighting?

Thnx

Army welcome to Aquariumadvice.com!

Well for a 30L tank you have alot of options, PC, MH, VHO, and T5HO. I have heard and done alot of research on both. All seem to work to fit personal needs. Same with razman it all depends on what you wanna keep. Also you have to think of this as an investment, not whats going to get you by for the mean time. Alot of people will spend $$ on somthing that they figure is going to work and then later realize they wanna do more and then have to spend more $$. Dont rely on watts per gallon IMHO thats just an irrelevant way of determining lighting for aquariums. PC's are what i see mentioned on the first thread of this excellent lighting for a resonable price (my guess is thats what he invested in and works for him) Reefrunner suggests MH but for a 30L $$ is just not worth spending. VHO's are resonable priced and reliable thats another good choice for the $$ and same with T5HO. Research and see what fits your needs thats what i did and am very pleased. Good Luck.

thnx for the replies. I will be buying 2 strip lights 65W each. I plan to get rid of or make major modifications to the marineland eclipse hood.

Back
Top Bottom