need suggestion....(sump)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a suggestion on sump design or plans? I plan on using a 10 gal tank.

I am trying to figure out how many compartment to build?

What would be better for my tank a sump, wet/dry filter stile or a refugium?

Please help...

I was going to build one myself, but I didn't want to take the time, so I bought a 125G wet/dry, which will be used as a Berlin style type sump. There are some design plans on here for sumps. Someone here will be able to give you some help with that.

Mike

You need to decide what you want it to do. If you just want a little extra water volume and a place to hide equipment, then you don't need any compartments. Just a line running in and a pump running out. That is all a "sump" is. If you want a "refugium", you'll need a compartment for sand,rock, and algae, to give your platonic life a place to live and breed. If you want an algae filter, you will need to design it so that water passes through a compartment full of algae. A 'fuge and algae filter are essentally the same, but water flow through the entire compartment is more important for an algae filter. If you are planning on using bioballs or similar as your primary filtration, then you'll need to design it as a W/d.

With a 10 gal tank your not going to have much room. What do you plan on putting in the sump. Skimmer? heaters? You will need a return pump that takes up room. IMO you should have at least 2 chambers 1 where you have the return from the tank going so you can loose the bubbles from the return before the return pump sends it back to the tank. The other chamber for the return pump and what ever else will fit.

Not sure what you mean FT89?
When the pump comes back on and pumps water into the tank again the overflows should start flowing again as soon as the water level gets high enough. If tank is drilled there is no issue here. If tank has hang on back overflows then there is a chance of the syphon breaking and the flood could happen, this is the possible issue with this type of setup.

Back
Top Bottom