New 135g reef tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that design, of that sump, Im doing a refugium and skimmer sump, I may want a algae turf scrubber in there also, I just need to read a little more about it. My sump is going to be filter sock intake, skimmer in first section, refugium, and possibly a scrubber in middle section, then return pump in third section.

My stand is 38" tall so I don't think that will be an issue.
Danbstrong could you send me some more info/links to that sump build. I'd appreciate it.

Saratj1 said:
I like that design, of that sump, Im doing a refugium and skimmer sump, I may want a algae turf scrubber in there also, I just need to read a little more about it.
My stand is 38" tall so I don't think that will be an issue.
Danbstrong could you send me some more info/links to that sump build. I'd appreciate it.

Algae scrubbers are amazing, just make sure your numbers and calculations are spot on and youll be fine..

If I put a ball valve between my pump and the aquarium to regulate the flow through the sump would that back pressure ruin my return pump quickly ?

On the return I have a 1" slipxslip bulkhead, I've only seen line loc in 3/4" how could I make that work for a clean return in the aquarium?

danbstrong said:
I like tall stand anyway you dont have to bend over to see your reef :):)

I like tall cuz of the kids I got little ones and finger marks on glass grrr

Saratj1 said:
If I put a ball valve between my pump and the aquarium to regulate the flow through the sump would that back pressure ruin my return pump quickly ?

On the return I have a 1" slipxslip bulkhead, I've only seen line loc in 3/4" how could I make that work for a clean return in the aquarium?

Imo your pump will be fine with valve it wont cause backpressure it will only limit its output obviously you probably wouldnt wanna tone down a 3000gph pump down to 500 gph something extreme like that might put wear on a pump you may not even use the valves depending on pump rating at im assuming about 5' to the tank

I'm thinking about getting a skimmer , it's a knock off, but looks promising, it's a newer design cone skimmer. I figure with the design worse case scenario is I have to get a better pump down the road. Or I may get I higher end, but used down draft skimmer. The down drafts seem better made and are rated for big tanks, but will require a large powerful pump that I will have to buy and plumb and operate 24/7. I don't know.

Here's the cone skimmer:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140825280222&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=94689093042

Here's an example of the downdraft skimmer, there's a few I'm looking at but they are similar to this.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=261086598667&index=9&nav=SEARCH&nid=61412727663

So here's my pros and cons for each

Cone skimmer:
Cons:
Unknown company, pump quality ect
Maybe a little small for my setup (rated 180g)
Pros:
Cheap
New more efficient design
Compact size
Supposed warranty

Downdraft skimmer
Cons:
Requires additional expensive pump
Older design, less effecient
Larger, will require more intricate plumbing
Buying this used so, could be unknown issues ( could be buying someone else's problem)
Pros:
Tried and true design and companies
Generally rated much higher than my tank size(200-300g)
Appears sturdy/high quality parts

For the money your half way there to a proven skimmer IMO better to wait and buy a Reef octopus (BRS group buy) In 13 years iv'e learned dont skimp on skimmers, pumps or heaters
(1) 90 day warranty on pump?
(2) $100-150 for the needed pump

Got to work on the stand some today, made some progress.
Still not finished though. I have sanding and staining to do and the doors. But it's coming along pretty well I think.

image-2109839878.jpg

Building the stand was fairly straight forward except for one thing, in my attempt to save as
Much money as possible I used scrap 2x4's that I already had to make the frame, this made the frame "not square" so I had a hard time cutting some of the sides. Most of this issue I could deal With by moving the unevenness to the back of the stand. The big front piece could not do that as all four sides are on the front. So I basically belt sanded the top edge until it fit. It still has a slight gap in some spots because the belt sander is not the most precise tool, but I think I can work with it. I still need to make doors for the stand that and smooth the whole thing and get it ready for stain or paint. I had been planning on stain but I am rethinking this, one thing is the wood is not as nice as I thought it is just cheap plywood with a fancy wrapper, and I've messed up that wrapper in a few spots with the saw. I could putty that, but would that show on the stain ? I don't know,

I ordered a pump from my lfs for my sump, its a deep blue brand triton 4 pump its rated at 1050gph. It was $70 and my lfs said if I didn't like it he would take it back, so fair enough.

Grizz said:
For the money your half way there to a proven skimmer IMO better to wait and buy a Reef octopus (BRS group buy) In 13 years iv'e learned dont skimp on skimmers, pumps or heaters
(1) 90 day warranty on pump?
(2) $100-150 for the needed pump

I'm probably not going to get a reef octopus just out of principal lol. They are top of the line I suppose, but I'm not shopping for top of the line I'm shopping for bang-for-the-buck, so that pretty much eliminates reef octopus, unless I found a really good deal on one used.

Saratj1 said:
I'm probably not going to get a reef octopus just out of principal lol. They are top of the line I suppose, but I'm not shopping for top of the line I'm shopping for bang-for-the-buck, so that pretty much eliminates reef octopus, unless I found a really good deal on one used.
Ive heard good things about eshopps skimmer never used one myself tho

I have an eshopps psk75h, I love it, it's a great skimmer, but their larger models are just as expensive as the name brand stuff for the most part. I think I'm going with that no name cone skimmer, I figure worst case is I buy a nice pump for it down the road.
And I got the eshopps for $40 and a zoanthid frag off craigslist so that makes it even better in my book.

I'm reviving this old thread, I have been working on this project just slowly. But things should start moving a little quicker now.
I have the tank in the house, now I have to work on the sump.

image-1329087228.jpg

Back
Top Bottom