Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New 30 Gal. Tank Build!

Hi All.

Well it didn't take long for me to get addicted to the "Crack" that is reef building and salt water aquariums. This past "Black Friday," my LFS was running a great deal on a 30 gal, Innovative Marine Tank. This is quite a size upgrade from the current Nano 12 gal Nano tank I was running previously.

I started with a new base of 40lbs of sand, which has given me about three to four inches of sand bed. I transferred my live rock, about 18lbs and added another 18lbs or so of cured base rock. I added about 15 gal of "new" water from the LFS and used all of the water I could get out of the Nano Tank.

Equipment added for the new tank. I purchased two Kyrolia Nano 425's for water movement and the tank came with a 327 gpm pump with the rotating stream.

I tested the water this morning, with the following results:
pH 7.8 - 8.0
AM 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 - 5.0ppm

I used a liquid drop test from API for the above results. I also added a dose of FritzZyme when I transferred most of the original water. During the last two days, I have kept my Percula and Purple Fire Fish with the few pieces of coral of my original tank with some water I held behind with circulation and a heater. Today, I made the transfer of my coral, fish and the remaining water into the tank. I put my CUC in as soon as the water was up to temp and include a fire shrimp, two turbo snails, four hermits, two nassarius snails along with a few others. I also have two emeralds.

A few observations. The glass of the new tank is 8mm and I need a more powerful magnet scrubber. I'm hooked on the larger tank and am excited about the prospect of adding a third or forth fish much further down the road. I'm hoping that with the mix of my original live rock, cured base rock and the original water from the Nano, I won't experience any huge cycling issues, but its going to be a wait and see! After three days of testing, no huge spikes. I can already tell that my little fish seem to love the added space!

The filtration that came with the tank included two racks of three filtration sponges. I kept one of those in place and am using the purigen and chem-pure from my nano in the other. What is convenient about this is their media racks is that they allow for simple and easy use of any filtration medium I want. Any thoughts of "Sponge" filtration?

I'm guessing I'll need to increase the size of my CUC? Any suggestions for something different, or should I just double up on what I already have in the tank, with the exception of the Fire Shrimp?

In addition to the filtration areas, there is a designated spot for my heater, a protein skimmer if I ever wanted to add one (I know that thoughts are mixed), and a place for refugium with a light. Does anyone have thoughts if I should add a bunch of rock rubble to the refugium area? Do you think it will add significantly to the biological filtration of the tank?

I currently am using the lid of Nano tank with 48w CF's for lighting, but should be receiving my new power heads along with a 30W LED Innovative Marine fixture in the mail this week.

If anyone has any thoughts, they are always appreciated!

Best Regards,

Mike

Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

O.K.,

While at work for the next two days, my 30W LED (Innovative Marine 14K) arrived at home with two 425gpm Koralia powerheads. I'm excited that when I get home, I'll be able to install the new LED fixture and powerheads to increase water flow.

My lovely wife was kind of enough to test the water for me and parameter still look good. A couple of questions.

1. According to the Innovative-Marine website specs for the fixture, I should be able to keep LPS coral. Does anyone have any experience with these types of corals with LED lighting? Any recommendations?

2. I currently have two fish, a Percula and Purple Firefish in the tank. I increased the size of my CUC to include 5 or 6 Nassarius snails, several hermit crabs, two turbo snails, and several other smaller snails (Sorry forgot the name). I'd like to eventually look at adding two more fish to the tank and am wondering if any of you have absolute favorites that might work well, or conversely, recommend against?

I'm considering:

Cardinal Fish
Yellow Goby
Six Lined Wrasse
Dotty Back
Yellow Tailed Damsel
Chromi

Thanks for your thoughts, pictures to come soon!

Mike

Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would ditch the damsel - aggressive little sonsof....
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

And the dottyback. So is this 7 fiah total? Im not sure how many you have, but have a max of 6 nano fish
Old 11-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. The list is for the fish I'd like to consider. I only want to add two to three at most for a total of 5 fish. So it sounds like the Yellow Tailed Damsel and Dottyback should be ditched?

Anyone have any suggestions not on the list that I should look at?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Royal grammas are nice, I liked mine.

I like the yellow goby too, cool little fish. I have the yellow clown goby and the yellow watchman goby, another nice choice.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sounds awesome! I would love to see pics!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Royal grammas are nice, I liked mine.

I like the yellow goby too, cool little fish. I have the yellow clown goby and the yellow watchman goby, another nice choice.
I second the royal gramma which is what i plan on getting instead of the originally planned dottyback: still brightly colored etc but without the nasty attitude.
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. Carey, I just finished reading your 20 gal rimless thread, from start to finish. Do you still have that one, or did you upgrade that to a larger tank?

Anyone have any experience with LPS corals under LED?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, still have it. Gonna upgrade it to a 60g rimless in the next few months though I'm using a fish needit light fixture and so far my clam looks good as well as my lps.

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com