New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Readjusted the settings on my light today. Hope it works out. I will keep a close eye on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lost my acan frag. �� and my ZOA's still haven't opened up yet.

Sorry to hear that! Scans can be extremely finicky and alot of people actually give up on them for some reason or another. Zoas are the same way but its normal for then to be mad for a little while. Have you checked for ammonia in the tank? And his the other parameters looking? Also might want to consider cutting the lights back an hour or turning them down. Maybe the different lights are a slight issue. Hope things balance out for you soon.

Sorry to hear that! Scans can be extremely finicky and alot of people actually give up on them for some reason or another. Zoas are the same way but its normal for then to be mad for a little while. Have you checked for ammonia in the tank? And his the other parameters looking? Also might want to consider cutting the lights back an hour or turning them down. Maybe the different lights are a slight issue. Hope things balance out for you soon.

Thanks. I just turned the lights back today. I'm not giving up on the acans , I really like them. I'm not putting anything else in this tank though until I see the ZOA's that are in there happy. Its just going to take some time. I think the more the tank ages the more stable the environment will become.

OK question how long do you leave your lights out when adding new corals. Just want to know for future reference.

I never change the amount of time my lights are on during acclimation. I stick with a 10 hr schedule always. I simply adjust the intensity of those lights for a period of time.

Has anyone ever used the screen method for acclimating new corals to the light?

Bought a mini reactor from BRS and installed it on my 20 gallon long tank at work so I could take the double gfo & carbon reactors home to put on my 40.

Just curious what coral and fish food do you all use to feed your tank?

I was thinking of culturing some brine shrimp for the fish. Any thoughts?

Just curious what coral and fish food do you all use to feed your tank?

I was thinking of culturing some brine shrimp for the fish. Any thoughts?

Live brine shrimp is good. Most fish love it. I like Reef Chilli as a coral food. I usually feed my fish frozen foods from San Francisco Bay like frozen mysis shrimp and marine cuisine. I was actually thinking on trying LRS reef frenzy next time I get this though. Andrew carries it and speaks pretty highly of it. I've heard good things on it as well. I've never had a problem with the San Francisco Bay Brand though, and it is usually available at most LFS's. I don't like dry flakes and pellets that much and I've tried omega one frozen and I didn't like it either as is clouds the water and contained a gel binder.

Live brine shrimp is good. Most fish love it. I like Reef Chilli as a coral food. I usually feed my fish frozen foods from San Francisco Bay like frozen mysis shrimp and marine cuisine. I was actually thinking on trying LRS reef frenzy next time I get this though. Andrew carries it and speaks pretty highly of it. I've heard good things on it as well. I've never had a problem with the San Francisco Bay Brand though, and it is usually available at most LFS's. I don't like dry flakes and pellets that much and I've tried omega one frozen and I didn't like it either as is clouds the water and contained a gel binder.

Thank you Paul. I appreciate the input. I have been using Coral Frenzy mixed with phytoplex and phytoplankton to feed the corals at work. I've been using mysis flat pack and rods reef food. I like the flat packs because you can take off what you need and no wasting. I add that to some aquarium water and then strain it through a coffee filter to get rid of any impurities then I add it to some selcon and mix with aquarium water. The fish absolutely love it. I only feed them three times a week (M-W-F) due to my tanks being at work and I'm teleworking Tuesdays and Thursdays. I hate starving them. That's one of the reasons I am bringing my tanks home this year.

I was asking the original question because if money gets a little tight I'd like to know I can still feed my fish but as cheaply as possible. That's why I wanted to try culturing some brine shrimp. I am already hatching them for my dwarf seahorses. I may look into culturing mysis shrimp as well.

Here is a picture of the tank. Waiting on some more cleaners to arrive tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1431947996129.jpg
    1431947996129.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 80
I found a really nice green and purple maxi mini that will go in the 40 once all is good. He is in my 10 gallon right now with a smaller green one. Both pics taken under the blue actinics.

Attachments

• 1431948475727.jpg
    1431948475727.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1431948522393.jpg
    1431948522393.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 76
Looking good! I love the mini-maxi's! Just curious is that a glass cover on the tank?

Looking good! I love the mini-maxi's! Just curious is that a glass cover on the tank?

Yes it is a glass cover. I would like to try and go without it and make a screen cover but not sure how that would work out.

Yes it is a glass cover. I would like to try and go without it and make a screen cover but not sure how that would work out.

You could uses plastic eggcrate (light diffuser) which is cheap, but some smaller fish can still jump though. This is what I used for years. There are also DIY screen covers that I think BRS has kits for that don't affect the lighting at all and look really nice if done correctly. This is probably the best choice, though I didn't notice much light loss with the eggcrate. Ever since I started up my 40, I haven't had anything over the top. That's why I don't have a wrasse. :)

Back
Top Bottom