New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You sure it bleached and the tissue didn't peel away? I've had several do that. Did you acclimate them to the tank?

Yes I did acclimate them. I will look closer tonight to make sure that there is no tissue. I think I may have moved it up in the tank to soon. I had it in the sand and the next day I moved it up about 3" and glued it to a rock and that's when it started turning white.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forgot to mention that my light is hanging about 20 inches above the tank. The cables that came with it weren't long enough to hang it down any closer.

I forgot to mention that my light is hanging about 20 inches above the tank. The cables that came with it weren't long enough to hang it down any closer.

That seems like plenty of room. Mine are closer to 12" from the water. What kind of lighting where these changes under before putting them in this tank? I'm thinking the lighting may not be the reason. I know euphyllias do not like changes in ALK. Birdsnest can be finicky to, but once they are happy the take off.

That seems like plenty of room. Mine are closer to 12" from the water. What kind of lighting where these changes under before putting them in this tank? I'm thinking the lighting may not be the reason. I know euphyllias do not like changes in ALK. Birdsnest can be finicky to, but once they are happy the take off.

Thanks Paul. I wasn't 100% sure it was the lighting. That was just the first thing that I thought of since its a different light that they were used to. I probably should have left them on the bottom in the sand a little longer instead of moving them up on the rock. Lesson learned. ?

I think the ZOA's are OK just haven't opened up yet.

Thanks Paul. I wasn't 100% sure it was the lighting. That was just the first thing that I thought of since its a different light that they were used to. I probably should have left them on the bottom in the sand a little longer instead of moving them up on the rock. Lesson learned. ��

I think the ZOA's are OK just haven't opened up yet.

Euphyllias do not take kindly to ALK swings. I wouldn't put anything too valuable in first. Also, what kind of lighting were these corals under before putting them in the me tank. LEDs can be pretty potent and light acclimation is a must.

Euphyllias do not take kindly to ALK swings. I wouldn't put anything too valuable in first. Also, what kind of lighting were these corals under before putting them in the me tank. LEDs can be pretty potent and light acclimation is a must.

Here is the light they were under before. This light was hanging over a 20 gallon long tank about 12 inches from the surface.

Attachments

• 1430825478360.jpg
    1430825478360.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 81
The light I have now is the Euphotica 24" programmable led by hobby lobby. Its 165 watts. You can look it up on Amazon for the full details.

You sure it bleached and the tissue didn't peel away? I've had several do that. Did you acclimate them to the tank?

Sniper I looked closer at the birdsnest last night and it did bleach out. There's no tissue left.

The light I have now is the Euphotica 24" programmable led by hobby lobby. Its 165 watts. You can look it up on Amazon for the full details.

I still don't think it is lighting though its still a possibility. Light versus light and tank versus tank plus the different lights heights leads me to believe it was something else. If the tissue is gone it's more than just bleached. Bleaching is just the loss of color but tissue is still present. I would check ask the water parameters again.

I still don't think it is lighting though its still a possibility. Light versus light and tank versus tank plus the different lights heights leads me to believe it was something else. If the tissue is gone it's more than just bleached. Bleaching is just the loss of color but tissue is still present. I would check ask the water parameters again.

OK thanks Paul. I feel really bad that I didn't do my homework on how to acclimate the corals to the new tank. I never had this issue before. I am definitely doing a ton of research now. I will check the water parameters again when I get home from work.

I want to agree that the lighting shouldn't be the guy at fault here. It sounds to me more like alk, I've done this before when alk is swinging or out of whack.

I want to agree that the lighting shouldn't be the guy at fault here. It sounds to me more like alk, I've done this before when alk is swinging or out of whack.

OK Sniperhank. That could be. I will test again tonight to see what the reading is.

OK here are the test results and I have to you guys were right.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite -0
P.H. - 7.4
K.H. - 10 = 179
Calcium - 29 = 580
Phosphate - .25
Salinity - 1.025

So what's the best way to raise the PH?

Don't chase ph. Point a powerhead at the surface and it'll be fine. Open a window. Never use a product to raise it as it almost always results in failure larger than what was originally going on.

Don't chase ph. Point a powerhead at the surface and it'll be fine. Open a window. Never use a product to raise it as it almost always results in failure larger than what was originally going on.

Ok thanks Sniperhank. I will direct a power head toward the surface. And open a window.

I've used Continuum Eight.Four to adjust Ph if it gets out of whack. I've had good results with it but use as directed to much can knock some other things out of whack. I don't use it very often only in I notice a very low Ph which hasn't occurred in a while. Euphyllias and Alk swings don't mix.

I've used Continuum Eight.Four to adjust Ph if it gets out of whack. I've had good results with it but use as directed to much can knock some other things out of whack. I don't use it very often only in I notice a very low Ph which hasn't occurred in a while. Euphyllias and Alk swings don't mix.

OK thanks Paul. I will get some to keep on hand. Is it normal for Alk to go whacky on occasion?

It can if it is already low. I run Kent normally on my tank and it is low in alk. With large soft coral, them using much alk, it can leave things catty whompus. I've had to dose a couple of times to equal it back out. Done it well and done it poorly.

All very good thoughts. I really do appreciate all the help I have gotten from you all.

I remembered having a alk problem in one of my tanks at work, although at the time I didn't have any Euphyllias, and I checked to see what I had on hand to use as a buffer and I had used the Seachem marine buffer and it worked out for me. I will test tonight to see if having the powerhead pointing at the surface helped the alk level. If not, then I will add some of the Seachem marine buffer.

Just tested the PH again and its back up to 8.2. Yay! Pointing the power head toward the surface did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom