new 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He does have a sump. I went back and looked at previous posts and he says he has a 25 gallon tank turned into a sump on the first page

Yes I have a sump and I am asking about my asm g3 Skimmer but I did just look online and found some mods to do to my Skimmer I am thinking about has anyone done a mesh mod and a gatevalve mod on there Skimmer it looks like it will help the Skimmer work better

carey said:
Ah I understand the want for the uv then. I just pulled up this

Amazon.com: Fluval G3 Advanced Filtration System: Pet Supplies

It has the specs for the g3 on the page. It looks like an awesome filter though.

Have you considered going with a skimmer? Since you have no sump they do make hang on skimemrs that are just as good almost as an in sump model. That would also help your filtering.

Usually the algae is a sign of excess nutrients in the water, what all do you have in the tank and hwo often do you feed? What are your lights and their schedule? A uv should knock out algae issues but it's always better to try to find the cause and go from there.
:)

I have 2 250 Watt hqi and 2 130 Watt attinics hqis r on for 7 hrs. Attinics are on for 9 hrs. I have so far fish wise 1 clown and a dragon gobie and my clam and a galaxia and some polyps that's about it and I feed once a day very little due to lack of fish on tank

It's occasions like this where it makes no sense why you have algae or green water. I would totally agree with you on the UV now. Youre doing everything right.

You are using ro/di water though right? That's the only thing I didn't ask before.

Yes I buy rodi and premixed water to do my top off and pwc and I now have a 6 stage rodi system to hook up for auto top off that I will b doing this weekend

I'm baffled. Sorry. But your plan sounds good. Can't hurt to try eh?

good luck with it, let us know if it works

Or massive water changes. Do you have a refugium? That can also help with excess nutrients by having macro algae in there.

I do have a refugium no macro yet getting it on Friday and I do 10% pwc every week I have no idea y I have greenish water

Is the tank in direct sunlight or anything? Or maybe the bulbs ar going? I;ve heard, not sure if it's true that older bulbs can cause algae as they arent coated with whatever they are coated with when new as time goes on. Not sure how true that is though but thought I;d throw it out there.

rob_mango said:
I do have a refugium no macro yet getting it on Friday and I do 10% pwc every week I have no idea y I have greenish water

It is an algae bloom.You could try leaving your lights off a few days,but the uv sterilizer will take care of it quickly.

carey said:
Is the tank in direct sunlight or anything? Or maybe the bulbs ar going? I;ve heard, not sure if it's true that older bulbs can cause algae as they arent coated with whatever they are coated with when new as time goes on. Not sure how true that is though but thought I;d throw it out there.

No its not in direct sun and I do need to replace my bulbs as I had this light on my 240 gallon tank but the bulbs are not that old 6 on the hqi and about 10 on the attinics

I need help I don't want to add a bunch of equipment for no reason I need to find some good advice on how to cure this greenish tint in my water I was thinking if I do the mesh mod it is reported I will increase the ability of my Skimmer up to 50% better skimming would that help at all

OK so I have changed my mind again I am going to go with a gamma 40 Watt UV that I will have on Friday a 1/3 HP chiller that I hope will b here Friday and doing a mesh mod and gate valve mod on my ASM G-3 Skimmer so I hope everything will go great with this reef tank

Back
Top Bottom