New fish anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Me and the wife have been looking to get a new fish for the tank. We currently have:
1-Yellow Tang
1-Sebae clown
1-Black Percula clown
1-Blue banded goby
2-LTA's
1-Blue Linckia Star.

We were looking into an Achilles Tang, but we dont seem to be convinced.
Any ideas on a fish we should get? I know its all up to your liking and what not but some ideas would be nice. I will buy the fish Saturday morning. Thanks in advance guys!

Your 75 gal is well stocked as it is, IMO a smaller fish (not a tang) would be a better fit.

Having more then one surgeon fish in an aquarium can often times pose some serious problems. The Achilles Tang you speak about is one of the hardest surgeon fish to care for. Since these animals inhabit the surge zones of many coral reef areas they require highly oxygenated water with strong currents.

The fact that your aquarium is only 75 gallons really limits you to one tang with even the Yellow being a bit iffy! I would recommend a six line wrasse or flame hawkfish. Both are very hardy and in the case of the wrasse beneficial to the tank. You could possibly go with both though that might be considered overstocking but the Achilles is def out IMO.

I second the 6 line, I love mine, great personality and a fun fish to watch. they will eat bristleworms and other nastys but won't touch corals or anything else.

I agree the achilles is a very hard tang to care for esp in your size tank. IMO he will become stressed and possibly become an ick magnet. The sixline is a good choice as the others stated. Maybe a few green chromis. I dont know if you are considering corals but if not some pretty nice angels out there.

I forgot to mention the flame angelfish. I know these guys snatch a premo-price considering their size but they are a great fish; sometimes compatable with a reef aquarium as well.

Flame angel, coral beauty or another pigmy angel would be an awesome addition. How about a blenny....bicolor? Very attractive personality

i want a fish thats reef safe. i dont have many corals right now but i will soon. From the looks of it the 6 line looks like the winner. i will keep you guys posted.

The Achillies is just not a good choice for your tank. However, as mentioned, you have lost of different options. If you are looking for something reef safe I suggest looking past the angels. Good options are sixline, royal gramma, purple firefish or a school of reef chromis.

Ok the Helfrich's it is. I will post pics when i get him in the tank. Thanks guys! Also, should i get the six line anyway? The wife seems to like it alot.

Hey guys. Last Friday my wife came home with 2 firefish without me knowing and now i guess i cant get my six line. She didnt know any better and since it was done in such good faith i couldnt tell her to take them back. She came in with such joy and happiness that i couldnt say take them back. Either way, i will try to take out one of the other fish without her knowing and take it to the LFS to get my wrasse. Maybe i will tell her that it died and i had to replace it. :lol:

artoledo said:
Maybe i will tell her that it died and i had to replace it. :lol:
Being honest with her about wanting the 6-line would be a better approach IME :p

Good luck with that :lol:

I would defiantly bypass the angel if you want corals. I have a french in my tank and he as never messed with any of my corals for 4 months. Then one day he got a taste for some of my zoos, now the whole colony is gone. I am setting up a fish only for a quarantine and it should be ready shortly. I really love the fish lots of personality but he is going in there.

Back
Top Bottom