new lights !! what do you think???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
new light fixture:

48 in for my 55 gal. fixture has 2 x 150 metal halide vho lamps double ended. it also has 2 36 in 30w aqua coral tubes. fixture stands on four 8 in legs. sure makes my 55 very bright. cannot wait to see my live rock come to life. after the fact do you thing thid is a good light for a 55 gal.

great lighting as long as the mh dont heat the water to much ya be fine think on the bulbs ya ment hqi bulbs if they double ended bulbs and with the no light go with the 03 bulbs imo

150 w shouldn't be too bad at 8" from the top, but if it does get warm either a.) add a fan over the water surface, or b.) raise the lights up a bit. Sounds like you got a good thing going!!

Ought to be a great setup...

On a 55 gal, I would not raise the lights more than the 8" because of the loss of light involved... 150 watts is not that strong for a 20" deep tank to begin with, and raising it up will only drop the intensity at the bottom of the tank...I say go with the fan blowing in the sump if you have one..I don't think you would have that much of a heat issue with the light in open air anyway. But a fan blowing on the surface will promote good evap and keep the tank in check...Congratulations on the purchase (y)

Back
Top Bottom