Not Popeye! what can I do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brando

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and don't usually post on forums, but I am at a loss and no one has been of any help.
Background: A while back (probably 4 months ago) I had 2 juvenile EBJDs in a 55 gal tank with some crawfish, handful of ghost shrimp, a tetra, and a random fry (they all came with the tank when I "inherited" it). I added the 2 EBJDs and a BN pleco, and all was well for a few months. One developed what I thought was Popeye. It presented as a clear bubble forming over the eye; the eye was NOT protruding. I treated with kanaplex for 3 treatments.. no change, which from what I hear isn't normal for kanaplex. Turns out (what I came to after my research), the bubble over the eye was not Popeye and the medicine I was treating with really wasn't doing a whole lot except for hurting the fish's kidneys. As a symptom of kidney dysfunction, the EBJD then developed bloat. It was over after that, lost that EBJD.
I have one remaining, but she too has the clear bubbles over her eyes, and has had them for 2-3 months (since the last EBJD treatment/death). You cannot even see them if you're not looking at her profile, that's how clear the bubbles are.. they're hard to notice.
I have since removed the crawfish, and added another EBJD juvenile.
So the older EBJD to the tank has had these bubbles over her eyes for MONTHS.. 2-3 months. The newly added EBJD is healthy, normal, no issues, great. The older EBJD is eating, but spends most of its time in the corner of the tank (in the photo). She perks up when I feed, swims around sometimes, socializes with the other EBJD at times, but most of the time she puts herself in that corner you see in the picture. Her color is also a lot more dull, less vibrant than the other EBJD. Not sure if that's because he's a male and she's a female (I'm guessing), or if her stress from not being able to see, and always being worried, is draining her color. I would love to know if there's anything I can do about these clear bubbles.. I'm assuming there's no way I could safely pop them. My parameters are always 0/0/<60, and I run a whisper 30-60 hob and a penguin wheel HOB; I had a cycle crash for a week or two 2-3 months ago with ammonia levels getting around 2 for a week or so (I was priming religiously and adding bio supplements to restart the cycle quicker). All is well now, added extra sponge filter for more Bio surface area, reduced stock to the EBJDs, tetra, random fry, and bn pleco. Looking for opinions here; is there anything I can do to help?

Attachments

• EBJD shot.jpg
    EBJD shot.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 62
  • EBJD shot2.jpg
    EBJD shot2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 76
Gas bubble disease?? What is your water change schedule? Do you temp match your water to your tank before you add it? Do you inject C02? Do you have excessive bubbles coming from your filtration and into the tank?

Back
Top Bottom