Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Need Answers....

Hello All I am new to the forum circuit, but not new to the aquatic hobby of mine. I currently have 2 FW tanks up and running and am looking forward to getting into the SW area of this hobby and was hoping if you could help me in my decisions. Thanks!

I current have a 10 Gallon I have aquired from a yard sale I attended yesterday. Unfortunately it is just the tank and lid/light. I was thinking about making it a nano-reef or a starter SW tank for a pair of Percula Clowns or Ocellaris Clowns.

This is the route I was planning on going and would like a little imput, thanks.

3"-4" DSB (Aragonite Sand)
10 lbs of HiRock
50 Watt Ebo- Jager Heater
Seaclone Protein Skimmer (thou I think this would be to much for a 10 Gallon)

I would also like to know what sort of lighting I would need?

All imputs would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you want a reef in a 10 gallon I would go with PC lighting. Having had any experience with the Seaclone Protein skimmer so someone else will have to help with that question. IMO I would mix your aragonite with some crushed coral. You will need more LR for a reef. I would stick with 1 pair of clown fish at first. You may need a powerhead to get rid of dead spots in the tank where there is no current.

Hope this helps

Old 09-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

youdont really need a protein skimmer at all in a tank this size. at least that is what i understand. i dont have one in mine and it doesnt seem like it needs one. for a reef i agree on getting some pc's. depending on the light fixture u aquired you could even go with those new screw in pc's. if it came with flourescent lighting, i would try to upgrade it. hth
Old 09-16-2003, 12:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

okay so half sand half corals?

and PC lighting...If I were to go to a LFS and ask a employee for some PC lighting they would know what I am talking about?

so instead of the skimmer I would need a powerhead, what would I use for filtration?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If i was you I would go with a larger tank to start out with. I started with a 30 gallon and I want to go bigger. You will want to go larger eventually, everyone does! Plus with a larger tank it is more stable because there is more water. JMO
Old 09-16-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If your LFS is decent yes they will under stand Power Compact lighting. If your LFS is like mine they will look at you with a blank face like your speaking in some strange language.

www.hellolights.com is a good website for lighting products. Depending on what kind of corals you want to keep the amount of lighting will vary.

Be prepaired to do daily topoffs of the tank with freshwater to maintain salinity and I would advise weekly waterchanges of 2-3 gal to help maintain water quality. Two small clowns will be the max fishload I would put in a tank that size.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well I have a 40 Gallon that I would moving to a 75 Gallon soon, thou I read somewhere that I could not use it cause the back is a mirror and it would disturb the fish? Am I wrong?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think the mirrored background will be fine for fish who are not overly agressive toward those of their own species. Fish who are known to not coexist with their own species or fish of simular bodyshape/color might be stressed by a mirror but fish that are not overly agressive toward their own kind probably will end up ignoring it.

Of course thats just my opinion.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
my 75 has a mirror on the back not that you can tell because the back is so covered in green and coralline algae.
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So if I wanted to turn my 40 Gallon into a SW tank. What would I need....pretty much the same things I have mentioned above. With 2 powerheads?

So Roughly:
2 powerheads
A protein Skimmer
80 lbs of Rock
4" DSB (Why would I need corals on the bottom?)

What fish would do okay with a mirror on the back?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com