Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New reef JBJ CF nano

Well, you got me there. Tomorrow will make 14 days since I set up the tank. Adding a rock this soon might cause a mini cycle? I'm glad I said something or I could have created a disaster for my shrimps and snails. And could you please tell me what lace rock is? Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lace rock is rock before its "live" and yes anytime you add LR without curing it first you will experience die off which could result in ammo or nitrIte spikes

Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 Mrc, add well rinsed dry rock from this point on plus side is it's cheaper and no pest minus it takes about 2 weeks to become live

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Smile New reef JBJ nano

Any rock I would add at this point would be cured live rock. Are you saying that I can't add even use cured live rock now? And, what would be the definition of dry rock? I know when I started my cichlids tanks, I was told to get this rock the lfs said was from the desert and to boil it before puting it into the tank. Is that what we're talking about? Please excuse my ignorance as the books don't talk about all this. I need the experts. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You could do live rock but you would have to cure it in a seperate container with saltwater and a heater. You would also have to test the water to see the ammonia spike and trites and trates go to zero. Once the parameters are normal you can add it to the existing tank. Base rock is rock that has no bateria on it hence "not live". If you add that to the tank over time it will become live. As far as bonding don't know I didn't bond any of my rock so I couldn't help ya there.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 for the test kits . It's much faster and easier to understand and get to know you tank if you do you own water test.

I also got live sand and didn't rinse at the beginning, since the " live bacteria " in the sand is most likely dead when you buy it , that is bad advice . I had to do several massive water changes to clear mine up( 55g ) but since then it's been fine ... You filters will do a good job of clearing it also.

You may wanna slow down on the stocking . Since each animal will add to the bio load, the bacteria need time to catch up to the load , adding a lot of life stock can cause a ammonia spike.

Snails and hermits are a ok start . Also don't be fooled by damsels , they look all innocent but they are mean pricks ! I have a friend who has 2 in with a snowflake eel .... They rule the tank, they will actually smack the eel in the face with tail fins .
Old 07-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Adding LR after the fact isn't a very good idea. Either put it all in now or add lace rock later down the road to not cause a mini cycle
I've added rock bits at a time with no ill effect , but only a few pounds at a time .... Unless you count diatoms as I'll effect >_<
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A
You could do live rock but you would have to cure it in a seperate container with saltwater and a heater. You would also have to test the water to see the ammonia spike and trites and trates go to zero. Once the parameters are normal you can add it to the existing tank. Base rock is rock that has no bateria on it hence "not live". If you add that to the tank over time it will become live. As far as bonding don't know I didn't bond any of my rock so I couldn't help ya there.
A good LFS should cure the LR before selling it , I have not had any issues with the LR I've added to my tank. As for bonding ... I have tryed the Orca whale underwater glue... It's crud , I think the hard sticks are ur best bet , will be easier to work with , the orca glue just floated around had to remove it with a net :-/
Old 07-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New JBJ CF nano

Thanks for the ingo guys. If the reef store on the other side of town doesn't have the gel, I will go back to the bonding stck. The turbo snail is kinda big and I am afraid he will knock the top rocks down.
The Lfs I use sells live rock from Figi and aquacultured live rock from South Florida. I bought some of each. All of it is cured and I bring it home in a bucket if salt water. Also, another possible problem has developed. One of my rocks, live of course as that's all I buy, is turning white like someone is going in and painting them. It is the rock on the top. Any ideas?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's the die off it will probably all turn white but it will regain its color over time

Tags
jbj, nano, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com