New Reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghettopunch187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to make a reef tank. I am either going to get a 29 gal or 55 gal. tank. I was thinking about buying a 55 gal. setup from wal-mart cuz my mom works there and i could get it for well over half off. So even if i just used the tank it would alot cheaper. If you guys could tell me some good combinations of filters and lights i would greatly appreciate it. Please remember i am only 17 years old and i work at Burger King lol. I can afford a little bit here, and a little bit there. I dont want the best stuff, or stuff that doesnt 'just work' for that matter. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ghetto, I'm pretty new here my self and will be asking this great group for some advise about filtration very soon but I just wanted to say I started with a 29 gal for my reef tank also. In the begining I had some troubles getting started. My piece of advise fro you is to start with the 55 gal, the more water you have the easier it is to keep stable. compact floresents are the way I went for lights as soon as I upgraded to my 75 gal. they were to hard to get and to expensive for the 29 gal. in my area. As far as filtration I currently have a skilter 250 and a penguine 170 bio wheel. They have worked well for me and when I get my 29 gal set back up they will go back on there. I wish you the best of luck and the best advise I have is just go slow. I can't guess how much of my hard earned money I flushed getting fish I wasn't ready for. Just remember you should put in as much live rock as you can afford to start. Another important point is what are you going to use as a bottom substrate?? I have been reading about dsb and would like to use that, my problem is my tank is up and running and now I will need to figure out how to get the crushed coral out and the dsb in w/o trashing my live rock setup. Again best of luck

One thing that I would say is that you need to decide just how much you want to spend. a "reef" tank, as opposed to a saltwater "fish" tank, requires a good sum of money to get started correctly. That is not with the top of the line items either.

Chris has given some sound advice as far as the liverock and sand bed. If you want to have more than just low light corals, your lighting will be quite costly. Also, the inhabitants of the tank as well, are not cheap. I would say the little bit here and there concept would not reap a successful reef tank. It would be best to set aside the funds until you have the dollars to make it work. As an example of the difference between fresh and saltwater, most freshwater people would think a 25.00 fish is expensive. In salt, that is a really cheap fish. The crabs, snails, stars for the clean up crew (which is a must) can be costly unless you order them online and even then, it isnt cheap. So, as much as it sounds like I am trying to discourage you, believe me, I am NOT, it is just that I would hate to see you get half way there and have to stop before you get started.

I am sure others will have additional comments and suggestions for you.

2 pounds of LR per gallon of water and 5" DSB, and a good protein skimmer is all ya need for a filter. as far as lights I think you get the most light out of pc's for the doller. just my .02 :mrgreen:

Great info so far. I would recommend reading about the many different type of >>filtration<< that are available and make your descision based on what's easiest for you and and still provides the best possible environment for the animals that will be in your care.

Ghettopunch187 said:
I was thinking about buying a 55 gal. setup from wal-mart cuz my mom works there and i could get it for well over half off.

We need to talk... Does mom need a new son...!! :p LOL

Cheers
Steve

lol im pretty sure 3 kids is all she wants ;) This pay check will be around $300, and i was planning on spending more than half on stuff for my reef. Im planning on buying everything in parts until i got most of the stuff. The only thing im going to buy all at once is the live rock, then the cleaning crew. Any links to lighting would be good. Can the lighting be used in the hood that comes with the tank or will i need a new one?

So i should go with PC's rather than metal hallides? Will PC's run in the hood that comes with most tanks? And is it totally necassary to have a sump?

Ghettopunch187 said:
So i should go with PC's rather than metal hallides? Will PC's run in the hood that comes with most tanks?
The light you use will primarily be determined by the types of light demanding animals you wish to keep. PC's can support a wide variety of softies, LPS and a few types of SPS corals. If your main goal is SPS and clams however, MH would be a good consideration. I would first decide the "goal" of the tank before deciding on the lights.

And is it totally necassary to have a sump?
No a sump is not necessary but it is recommended. It will allow for greater total water volume, increases gas exchange, more room for bacteria and can store all the unsightly equipment that would otherwise need to be in the tank.

With sufficient amounts of LR (1½+ lbs/gal) and enough sand to add to the anoxic dentrification (I am not speaking of a DSB), combined with a good skimmer you can operaate a successful tank. You need be a bit more mindful of bio load and fish types though. You could also consider a planted refugium.

Cheers
Steve

For LPS and soft corals, either PC or VHO lighting would suffice. The loose guideline is 3-5w/gal.

Cheers
Steve

Well Ghetto,
I am at the same spot that u are in.... I bought a 29 gal eclipse tank thinking i could just replace the lights in the hood to have a reef tank.. errr wrong answer... The main reason i bought the 29 gal is cause i got it along witht hte hood and some LR and other stuff for like 90 bucks on ebay.. I am glad i choose the 29 gal over the 60 gal i was going to get.. Thje supplies for a 60 gal would almost triple the price from the 29 gal i currently have.. Here's how i went... (I am still in the process of building it up.. 4 months running now)

Because i was limited in price i have done lots of research and found the cheapest.. best way to get a nice reef tank going... I will outline it below..

Livesand- I bought 40 lbs of aragonite sugar fine sand.. and then bought 5 lbs of live sand to "seed" the rest of the sand.. Making sure that i place the live sand in the tank last so that it rest on top

LiveRock- I have bought 30 lbs of live Fiji Rock.... 5 lbs of Tonga Branch.. and 10 lbs of the more expensive marshall island rock.. u could also use lace rock for the lower levels and then just place the liverock so that the lace rock doesn't show

Filtration- I was running the filter that came with the eclipse hood but have decided to upgrade.. I took one of my old 10 gal tanks and turned it into a refugium to place under my tank.. All it took was like 10 bucks for the acrylic.. and 4 bucks for the silicone caulk glue to make it.. the refugium includes- a 30w (90 watt output) light.. 1 100watt ebo-jager heater.... 10 lbs of sugar fine sand... 3 red-legged hermit crabs.. 5 astrea snails... 10 bucks of caulpera algea(a handfull).. like 4 lbs of liverock.. and a 500 gph pump..(email me for info on building your own overflow box and/or sump)

Lighting- there are two way u can go on this.. u can get a ABS.. but they cost well over 200 bucks (for good ones).. or u can go retrofit kit and make your own hood.. I would reccomend the second choice... you'd get a hood with two PC 55watt bulbs.. one white bulb and the other a acinic blue bulb..

Cleanup Crew- 1 brittle star (some might argue that u don't need it.. but i got it because i like the way it looks...).. 10 astrea snails... 10 red legged hermit crabs

there are some things that i have not mentioned.. like sea salt mixes... calcium supplements.. Protein Skimmer.. salt hydrometer.... test kits... wavemaker.. powerheads.. but those are all subject to whatever way u want to go..

for a total price on everything it would take to run a 29 gal similar to mine.. (excluding the tank, fish or corals) probably around 500-600 bucks....
So yeah reef tanks are very expensive.. and you better save you money and plan well ahead first... Good luck.. I hope i am not too late and you haven't bought the 55 gal tank yet

Chris Macias
email me @ dacoolguychris@aol.com

P.S.
personally i prefer the retrofit kit (with a DIY hood).. and the refugium(the more water the more stable it will be).... because u can hide everything that u don't want people to see when they look at your tank.. (i.e. electrical chords.. heaters... maybe ugly lights.... protein skimmer hanging out of the back... etc...

here is a link to a sight that helped me out when i first started... It's an awesome sight for either a 55 gal or a 29 gal ... check it out http://www.melevsreef.com/

Back
Top Bottom