Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
New Refugium, Help with setup

Hey All,

I just placed an order for a new custome Refugium. Its a 34" x 15" x 15" sump/refugium with a 14" refugium area and a 12" sump area.

What do ya'll suggest to put into the refugium area? Sand? Mud? Nothing? It's got stand off's on the bottom, I assume I should put a couple of chuncks of LR?!

I plan to have a light that will run at night durning the hours my main lights are off in the tank, From what i've read that is the prefered way to do it? Any input on how much / what type of light to put down there?

Do you put any crabs/snails in the fuge? What else should I put in there?

The only reason I got a fuge was because I needed a new/larger sump since I upgreaded to a 90g tank, my old sump was small and was for my 55g tank. So I figured while I was doing it, I mgiht as well get a Fuge too. I don't have any nitrates or phosphates, I NEVER have any.

Thanks,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Huh. I dont know about the fuge as I do not have one for my tank. I have heard that sump/fuge shared you need to block light from one to the other. It is a good idea. If conjoined the sump part with all of your pumps and hardware will grow algae and other light growing algae in it and clog your equipment. There is a sort of tape I am not sure what it is but you can block the light source to just your fuge if you do it right.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would not put any livestock in your fuge because later on some day you might have to banish something in your tank to it when it misbehaves. I have miracle mud covered by a couple inches of sand in my fuge.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I would not put any livestock in your fuge because later on some day you might have to banish something in your tank to it when it misbehaves. I have miracle mud covered by a couple inches of sand in my fuge.

What purpose does it serve to have the sand ontop of the mud? or the mud under the sand? Is one better than the other?

Do you have anything else in your fuge?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 04-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You want the sand on top or your water will have a muddy dirty look. You cant have the mud on top.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is the purpose of the mud? Why not just use sand? Do you have any plants in there?

-TheChad
Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I was just telling you what I have. If I had to do it all over I probably would not get the MM. Sand only will be good.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I was just telling you what I have. If I had to do it all over I probably would not get the MM. Sand only will be good.

ok, so you don't like the mud? I'm just asking because I don't know anything about fuge's, it's all new to me..

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I have live plants, sand, and LR. The plants like Chaetomorpha Algae or Mangrove will absorb nutrients from the water in order to grow, and help lower nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am having difficulty understanding the concept of the refugium. I have mud, rubble rock and a handful of caulerpa in mine. Water is being fed into the refugium via a tee off of the return pump piping with a ball valve to control the flow. Do I just allow the refugium to fill up with water, flow over the divider into the return pump area and then it goes into main tank that way?

Tags
refugium, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com