Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

as you can see from my first post - i bought a Jebo tank that came with the filter and lights built in. not sure what the quality of the tank is, but my LFS had it on sale with the stand for $250.

it is now closing in on 1 week since i started cycling my tank. i wasn't able to pick up my live rock today, but hopefully tomorrow. i am on a budget - but how much do those Cured Live rocks go for?

i am planning to have a FOWLR aquarium. i REALLY want a coral, but i don't think i have the knowledge and equipment to maintain one, so i'm going to hold off for awhile.

anyone know if those white spots in the tank are normal? and do i have to cycle the tank all over again once i get my live rock?

thanks!

Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well since your going to your lfs it can be pretty high since they dont have enough volume a month. You could pay anywhere $3 to $7 a pound on the very high end. If its more than seven you neeed to look elsewhere. Also it depends on what kind of lr they have. Premium Aquatics has a i believe 4 different kinds. You want to buy online from PremiumAquatics or Liverocks they both have decent price and will not cheat you. You can save some money if you purchase some base rock for the bottom of the tank and the regular lr for the rest of the lbs you need.

Once you have the rock it will cycle itself within a month. You just need the rock and then give it two weeks and then test the water and see what you have.

And the white spots not sure what your talking about? do you mean on the bottom of the tank you can see white spots? This could be salt that did not disolve? but this is only a guess i have no idea of the white spot we will need more info and a picture would be great.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with Flame. We used base rock on to build the foundation of our rock structure and then bought about 60#'s from LiveRocks.com. The live rock was absolutely amazing with a lot of cool hitchhickers. After about 4 months you couldn't tell the deifference between the two types of rock, as the base rock colored up nicely.

Not sure about the white spots either. All I know is a lot of funky stuff happens during the cycling period and you find yourself thinking "What did I get myself into 8O ". At some point, you're sand will probably get covered by some ugly looking brown stuff and you really start to wonder what's going on. It's all part of the process. Just gotta let it happen. As I said, though, I don't know what the spots are. Odds are you won't have to re-cycle as a result of them.
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks, i will check out those websites for the liverocks.

what do you guys think of Mag Float? i was thinking of getting it to clean the wite spots and algae in the future.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah that should be ok, i assume your tank is glass ? if its acrylic then you'll need something different. Good luck with the tank and its all worth so many more colors than freshwater and fascinating.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
I am planning to have a FOWLR aquarium. i REALLY want a coral, but i don't think i have the knowledge and equipment to maintain one, so i'm going to hold off for awhile.
You can still get the coral look without getting coral. Artificial coral usually runs around $7-$15 each and with a clean up crew in place is little to no maintenance.
http://www.aquariumbeauty.com/displa...CORA&Page_ID=1
http://store.seacorals.net/reaqco.html
Old 11-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I disagree with adding 1 fish a month. I added both my clowns, my firefish, my 6 line wrasse and my goby all within 1 month and I have had 0ammonia 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 1.024 salinity, and 8.2 PH since the 2nd day I setup my tank. It has been running around 3 months.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonForce
I disagree with adding 1 fish a month. I added both my clowns, my firefish, my 6 line wrasse and my goby all within 1 month and I have had 0ammonia 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 1.024 salinity, and 8.2 PH since the 2nd day I setup my tank. It has been running around 3 months.
You're saying you've had 0 levels on all readings since you set up the tank? Meaning you've never gone through a cycle? If thats the case you are the exception to the rule and I'd be very curious what your setup is (but thats for a different thread). Any addition to a tank will require the bacteria colonies to adjust for the additional load. The bigger the addition the longer it will take the colonies to adjust. This is why if things get way out of balance you can end up with a second cycle from adding too much at once or, most often, from adding uncured LR to an established tank.

Patience is the name of the game. The faster you go in SW, the more likely you're going to run into problems.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

While Dragon Force may have had good luck (and I stress the word luck) with putting 4 fish into a new tank I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else run out and try it. The bio-capability of the rock you use will be a major factor in whether or not you can handle the superman bioload or if you're going to need to take it slowly. As nothing good happens fast in this hobby (but believe me the bad stuff does) your best off not taking the chance and just taking things slowly as has already been recommended.

Good luck with your new tank!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:48 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

dianeww, by a "partial reef" I mean a tank with a few mushrooms and zoos maybe some polyps. Minimal and simple corals.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com