Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

proverbs, IMO 1 fish/month is ultra conservative and 4 is a bit foolhardy. I think 1 fish, wait a week and test - hopefully two weeks and test, then you can add another.

As for corals, I think your lights can support some mushrooms or zoos. They're very colorfull and come in several varieties. Please, please don't use the fake stuff. Just the thought kills me. Of course - who am I

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Proverbs,

Good luck. I have the same JEBO system and I have been happy. I used the stock filter and all water params were good. (tank is 8 weeks old now...and doing well

One thing I experieneced when I initally used tap water to fill my tank was an outbreak of cyano. Its a form of algae that break outs if you have too many nutrients in your water. If you used tap from So cali (same area I am in) then you may want to check your phosphates. Your LFS should have a tesk kit.

I also learned that the more live rock, the better. When I addded my first fish he didn't swim around. He hung out near my 2 pieces of rock, and the tank looked empty. I started with 15#'s and i am now up to 45#'s. it really makes a difference. if you have the cash, i think your best bet would be to bulk order online. I wish I had when I started, now I need to add rock slowly and it is a bit more expensive.

Good Luck.

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well i will throw my two sense in here too. I wait two weeks after putting in a small fish goby size of a inch or so these guys dont bioload the tank that much. But when were talking a tang or a fish of that size its good to wait a month. "Proverds" imo i would base the amount of time you wait for each fish on Size of the fish and Bioload or amount waste that the fish creates. Also depends on how often you plan to feed these fish.
good luck and its sounds like your on a good track with your tank
Old 11-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea. i was planning on getting a really small fish first and then get ones that are a little bigger. i heard that if you put the bigger ones in first they get very territorial and attack the smaller fish. not sure if its true though.
john - i'm glad to hear that your tank is doing well. hopefully i have the same luck as you.

and i got my live rocks today! i picked out a one of those branches and a small rock (about 15lbs. combined) and thought maybe it would come out to $20 - $25. man was i wrong. those things are expensive! nonetheless, i am happy with the ones i picked (but i won't be able to add any more for awhile). i'm probably gonna buy a few decorations, like a little house or bridge or somethin the fish could play in.

i'm planning to get one fish this weekend. maybe a small clown fish.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

btw, when did you guys get your hermit crabs, snails, and shrimps? i heard that these help maintain the cleanliness of the aquariurm which i thought was freakin COOL.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
btw, when did you guys get your hermit crabs, snails, and shrimps? i heard that these help maintain the cleanliness of the aquariurm which i thought was freakin COOL.
I waited about two months. I wouldn't rush it as they can more sensitive to water quality then fish. The small 1" hermits & snails you could add rather quickly but I'd wait for shrimp till your tank has been running for a couple of months.

Make sure you acclimate them well for a couple of hours.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=18
Old 11-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

great. i will probably get the crabs and snails a few days after the fish.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Personally I’d get more hermits than snails to start with. Most snails do better with a more established tank with lots of LR to graze on. They usually won’t get enough to eat from just the algae on the bottom and glass. The hermits do a much better job keeping down algae also imo.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com