New tank setup- help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you got a wet dry, the skimmer could go in side the sump, or pull and return into the sump. That's one option or you could get an acrylic piece for a top and cut out a area for the skimmer.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply

Where can I get acrylic? Home Depot?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah or various other places, acrylic and plexiglass is the same thing

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply

I must have missed one of your replies from earlier. I'm currently using a hob that can handle up to 40G on my 25G.

Unfortunately most of the time that's just a number. It correlates to what rate water is pushed through the filter. However if the media choices are sub par and the media isn't used efficiently it becomes just a glorified power head. Now there are a few HOB filters that are decent quality however in they do not compare to the advantages of a wet dry filter

I'm just using the carbon cartridges that are meant for it. How could I run other media, such as phos-guard, in the hob if I wanted to? My protein skimmer is scheduled to be here tomorrow and I plan on leaving it on unless anyone recommends that I don't. :)

You can but phos guard or seagel in 100ml bags and just replace the carbon. It won't hurt anything to leave it on, it can only help

Sounds good! Could you possibly shoot me a link to those bags so I know what I'm looking for? Again this is all new to me. With freshwater it's all "point and shoot" so to speak. I wonder if the carbon actually does anything for a reef tank...

Will this do the trick?

Attachments

• 1403664107817.jpg
    1403664107817.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 67
This is the media you will want to run http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4200&pcatid=4200
It is phos guard and matrix carbon mixed together already in the right proportion, any media bag will work so that doesn't have to be specific.

Carbon defiantly works on saltwater, it removes organic waste from the water, in the same way it does in freshwater.

I picked up that same stuff today! Great minds think alike I suppose! ;) as I literally just mentioned in my other thread, I've got it in its own media bag, halfway full and the top half folded over the back. It's sitting right behind the bio media.

Attachments

• 1403751318773.jpg
    1403751318773.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 55
I also accidentally dropped a few of the pellets into the tank while putting the bag into the filter. They're white so they blend in with the sand. Fml. Hopefully they just dissolve eventually

They won't dissolve, however they won't harm anything either. I wouldn't worry about it :)

Back
Top Bottom