Nicole's 29g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I want to start this thread by thanking everyone that has put up with all my ridiculous questions over the past year and helped me to learn everything I've learned about saltwater. After nearly a year of running a 50g FOWLR, I am tanking the plunge (no pun intended) into building a reef.
I still know very little about keeping coral, so as much as this thread will serve as journal for the build, it will also surely contain lots of silly questions along the way. I will also be listing my expenses along the way for my own personal records and to help anyone considering setting up a tank. My goal is to set up the nicest tank possible for as little money as possible.

Sunday, July 14, 2013
I picked up a brand new 29g tank at Petsmart. It came with a fluorescent hood which I will attempt to sell on Kijiji and is part of the $2 per gallon sale. After my employee discount (;)) and tax it cost me $46.
Stopped at Canadian Tire and picked up a can of black Krylon spray paint to paint the back of the tank. $4
Got the tank home, lugged it up the stairs and put it on my pre-existing stand.
Crap. The tank is 30.2" wide but the stand is only 29.75". There is about a quarter of an inch of hang over on either side. Google says to put a piece of plywood under the tank for safe measure.
Cost so far: $50

Monday, July 15, 2013
Went to Home Depot but their saw is broken so I will try to get to Lowes before work tomorrow morning though it's likely I will over sleep. I'm about to pull the trigger on these lights 120W Dimmable 60 3W LED Aquarium Tank Light Marine Coral Grow Light Black Case | eBay
They look to be the same as those Taotronics that everybody raves about, but a little bit cheaper. I'm still unsure how high above the tank these will need to hang. Can someone confirm for me that these lights will do the trick? Will they be strong enough to keep a bubble tip anemone?

Those lights will be strong enough to keep anything you would want :) One should be more than sufficient to grow anything you would want in that tank. With the 120 degree lenses it won't have to be hung super high above the tank. I would just experiment with different heights when you get it.

I will be getting 2 of those lights for my 40 breeder.

I'm still in the very beginning stages of learning about coral but at least I now know that I can keep any kind I want.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013
As I suspected, I didn't wake up early enough to go to the hardware store this morning but I did purchase those lights ($155). I'm very eager to get them in the mail and hope I don't have to pay duty.

Cost so far: $205 yikes!

Very nice choice on the lights. If I am not mistaken quite a few of our more advanced reefers on this forum have similar light fixtures.

Are you going to be using dry or live rock in your tank?

To keep costs minimal I will be purchasing all dry rock. Probably pukani style. But if necessary I can take a piece or two of live rock from my big tank to seed with.
In fact I will be using filter media from my old tank to speed up the cycle of the new old. I will be throwing in a dead shrimp and using either an AC50 or AC110 filter with live media.
How long do we think the cycle will take?

That is gonna be an awesome tank.
WhAt fish and corals are u planning
to get?

Sorry I totally forgot to answer the fish side of your question. I am planning on
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 flame angel
1 royal gramma
And a handful of inverts.

Can someone suggest a nice blue fish to add? Obviously a regal tang is way too big and damsels are evil. But I'd like a nice splash of blue.

I have two Orchid Dottybacks which sort of meet your blue needs

Attachments

• image-4187047925.jpg
    image-4187047925.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 148
I would love to get a bicolour dotty back as its about half the price of a royal gramma but I've heard they're as aggressive as damsels.

Seen a bi color dotty tonight looked like someone dipped oneside then the other. One db is good just like some fish they can have their moment.

With 120 degree optics if they are that far from the tank there will be tons of light spill over.

At 20 inches I don't have any light spill over on my 40 B
and I get nice coverage of the tank

img_2565357_0_c4c960bc4727a63fa133ac4df12eeaf2.jpg

I keep SPS , LPS , and softies and it's all doing great

So is there a right or wrong answer to this question then? How do I know how high is too high and how low is too low?

You are really going to have to experiment. When you go to hang the lights just make it so that the lights are adjustable. They are high enough when they give good coverage without having issues with spotlighting anything.

I would go about 10" and slowly turn them up. Lots of people on here run them less than 50 percent. Mine are around 40/30 and more than enough light.

Back
Top Bottom