Night feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am now trying to have a feeding cycle in the middle of the night for my filter feeders. Since my SPS polyps are out at night, I thought I might feed then. Using Phytoplankton and oyster eggs. I turn of the primary filter loop and just use the Korella Magnums for current for 1/2 hour each night. So far, the SPS is looking even better. Anybody have any experience at night feeding?

Gregcoyote said:
Am now trying to have a feeding cycle in the middle of the night for my filter feeders. Since my SPS polyps are out at night, I thought I might feed then. Using Phytoplankton and oyster eggs. I turn of the primary filter loop and just use the Korella Magnums for current for 1/2 hour each night. So far, the SPS is looking even better. Anybody have any experience at night feeding?

I just got some " live plankton" the other day and got up in the middle of the night and basically did the same ,... Kinda scary when you tell someone about it and they kinda look at you with " that look"

Last edited:
I raised baby parrots and work with hawks and owls when injured. They get fed every 4 hours when raising young or injured birds. A little midnight plankton isn't a big deal, I am up all night anyway.

Heavens no. I got my parrots a long time ago and am done with raising them. If you have parrots, you know, they can be quite demanding. Fish are much quieter.

mr_X said:
keep an eye on your water quality.

I'm kinda scared to add any outside food/ plankton etc into my tank for the simple reason is that everything ( coral) is looking sooooo good without adding anything at all,.. I've always been under the assumption that if it's not broken than don't fix it ,..but just for experimental purposes ,...I added alittle of the " live plankton " the other nite ( for the first time) ,..but about 1/10 the recommended dose.....in your opinion should I just let things be as they were and throw the plankton out the window???

lol...you can use it if you like, but i've always relied on my fish to fill the water column with tiny particulate matter for the sps. i never needed the phyto. if you have fish in the tank and are feeding them, and they aren't constipated....they are taking care of business!

mr_X said:
lol...you can use it if you like, but i've always relied on my fish to fill the water column with tiny particulate matter for the sps. i never needed the phyto. if you have fish in the tank and are feeding them, and they aren't constipated....they are taking care of business!

Thank you,..that was what I had heard some where else too,...possibly in one of your post,.... See once again superman has come to the rescue..thanks mr.Kent

i'm not knocking live food, i'm simply mentioning to be careful how much nutrients you add to your closed system. if your fish load is somewhat light, then by all means use a phyto drip, around the clock, coupled with a big skimmer.

mr_X said:
i'm not knocking live food, i'm simply mentioning to be careful how much nutrients you add to your closed system. if your fish load is somewhat light, then by all means use a phyto drip, around the clock, coupled with a big skimmer.

.... With the two triggerfish I have and the way these two clowns munch and crap then I'm sure I have more than enough " nutrients" in the water without adding anything else,.... I'll just continue with my old ways until such a time comes when I yell for help... Thank you Doug

Gregcoyote said:
Heavens no. I got my parrots a long time ago and am done with raising them. If you have parrots, you know, they can be quite demanding. Fish are much quieter.

Oh I know my blue and gold macaw hollers every morning and evening and it feels as if my ears are going to pop but I still love him to death.

Back
Top Bottom