Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you get your lfs to test as had same issue with API and now use Red Sea for most test and Salifert for nitrate.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Did you have a LFS test your water for a second opinion?

Something is causing the nitrates. Doing a water change and the numbers staying the same does not make sense. Maybe test the water you are adding prior to putting it in and see if that comes up nitrate- free.
Ya I have a store about 20 mins away. I agree. I had the same issue at my other house and I use a RODI 5 stage system so I don't think its that but maybe. That's why I was thinking it was the Test Kit.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
Can you get your lfs to test as had same issue with API and now use Red Sea for most test and Salifert for nitrate.
The red sea has been working? Do you have a Red Sea based tank or no?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been using the Red Sea kits and there good but use Salifert for nitrate as it's clearer to read the results and no ain't got Red Sea tank hot aqua reef.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
I've been using the Red Sea kits and there good but use Salifert for nitrate as it's clearer to read the results and no ain't got Red Sea tank hot aqua reef.
Ok I'll check it out thank you
Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The bottom line with nutrients is how much are you putting in v.s. how much you are taking out. If you are feeding daily, and running a HOB filter that you don't clean for months, I would say it's pretty easy to have high nitrates. Just put all the food you feed in a week in your hand. Do you take this much nutrients out of the tank in the same amount of time? If not, then there is your problem.

As stated before me, the snails and crabs don't really do any "cleaning". The reason you have to replace them is either that they starved to death, or they were killed by hermits. I'm betting they starved to death. Nassarius snails eat meaty foods, they do not eat algae or detritus, contrary to popular belief. They are carnivores.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The bottom line with nutrients is how much are you putting in v.s. how much you are taking out. If you are feeding daily, and running a HOB filter that you don't clean for months, I would say it's pretty easy to have high nitrates.
As stated before me, the snails and crabs don't really do any "cleaning". The reason you have to replace them is either that they starved to death, or they were killed by hermits. I'm betting they starved to death. Nassarius snails eat meaty foods, they do not eat algae or detritus, contrary to popular belief. They are carnivores.
How long after cleaning HOB filter weekly and water changes will it take to bring nitrates down ? The snails die bc of my 6 line wrasse attacks them sometimes and my Pink diamond goby eats small nass snails. He's a nut!! The big nass nails have been fine.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Well, think about the math-30 gallon tank with 100ppm nitrates, and you do a 50% water change.....This will bring your 100ppm down to 50, providing the source of the nitrate has been removed. A smaller change, less....

Clean the filter out real good and put in new floss or media cartridge or whatever it takes and then test nitrates..
Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Makes sense. I'll try it thanks!!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

I has was battling nitrate problems for months!!! I finally upgraded the stock filter to a aqua clear 30 for my 15 gal tank. I bought some poly filter a some Chaeto algea. Within a week or so my nitrates dropped from 40-80 ppm to 5.0-0 ppm. Ohh and of course I do weekly water changes!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com