Nitrite cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kml23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so I'm a total newbie, but I've been reading up here and have been following up well....

My question is: How long will it be before I see my Nitrite levels start to go down? I've had my tank running for two weeks and have finally seen my amonia level go down to nearly 0 my nitrite level is nearly at 10ppm though.

Here are some stats on my tank:

80gal, 1.022 sp grv., 78 deg F, 25lbs lr, 4-5inch ls base, two one inch yellow belly damsels.

My Ph is 8.2 and my Nitrate levels are only 5ppm

I'm running a marineland 330bio wheel, Tetra 30 HOT, and a Prizm Pro Skimmer.

Thanks for your help

do you have liverock in ur tank??? are you using the damels too cycle your tank because if you are i wouldnt think 2 would be enough, i cycled my 29 gallon with 4 damsels.... last time i did my 55 gallon with only 1 and i thought it cycled only to find out it didnt when i put other fish in and i was told 1 damsel isnt enought to get the ammonia level high enough when its cycling.

Yeah, I have about 30lbs of live rock. I let the tank cycle for a week or so with lr. The fish are totally cool. I've been monitoring them. They are eating and have adjusted well to the new tank.

No one can give you a day when the nitrates will go down, every tank is different. What size tank? You may want to take the fish back after the cycle because damsels are mean nasty little fish ans will probably go after the new fish you add to the tank.

Yeah, I cycled with damsels too. I pretty much then had fewer choices of fish to buy because these mean buggers will attack your new tennants.

You can cycle, then donate back the damsels to the LFS or something.

The Nitrogen Cycle is a big and valuable step for you. After this, you're not a newbie anymore!

Just do little water changes to see if you will find a difference. Some people actually use pure ammonia, but I am no chemist so I didn't do that. some people even use cocktail shrimp. But depending on the size of your tank, you might want to consult with the experts around here (not me, though) on how much ammonia level should it reach before you even worry about nitrites.

The nitrates will show up, though, don't worry. It's a cycle, it will end up looking like nitrates all over your test kits.

Let`s hope that we never in the future have to cycle a tank with damsel or any other live fish. As an aquarist you have a responsibility to provide a life that free of cruel treatment.

Back
Top Bottom