Ocellaris Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if these are jumpers? I'd much rather not have a lid on my tank as I love the open-top look. Are Ocellaris prone to jumping out of the tank?

I had a yellow stripe maroon jump. You can use some eggcrate from HD to cover the top.

I've got a glass lid for the tank, I just hate it :p Have to take it off for feeding/testing/topups etc. and it looks so much better being open top, as I have an over-the-tank light, and I like to see the water rippling etc.

Oh well :p

I have a pair of Ocellaris that host my bta about 3 inches below the surface of the water and the tank is completely open top, been like this for a year.

I have had a tomato clown jump before.

Cool...good to hear, would you risk it with mine?

I'm planning on getting a purple dottyback too, those ARE jumpers aren't they?

I think, if they have plenty of space and can establish their own safe territories, you should be ok. I do agree, most clowns are not known as jumpers.

Cool, well there isn't exactly "plenty of space" as it's only a 10G nano with a lot of LR in it! :p But, I think I'll risk it :)

I`ve never had either of my clowns jump but you do want to be careful using a glass top as it will lower your PH due to poor gas exchange at the surface

Thanks for the tip! I'm thinking about having an acrylic top made up, maybe with some small perforations on it - would that help the gas exchange?

I'd say the egg crate is your best bet and cheap...

Back
Top Bottom