Odd green Mandarin Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonathanG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ever since I got this green mandarin about 6 months ago he has done something odd every couple of weeks. At night when the lights are way down he floats to the top of the tank and just hovers around on the surface near the overflow and swims through the return jets. In the morning he is back on the bottom swimming around like normal. This only happens maybe once a month, every other night he is just puttering around the bottom as usual. Anyone have a mandarin that does this? Any ideas on why?

Here is a video of him tonight.

http://youtu.be/a4adVStZDbw

I don't have a mandarin, but I know all my fish do weird things at night and it scares me to see sometimes lol. I know my clown does the same thing as your mandarin, he swims real fast to the surface right after the light goes out. I wouldn't worry about it. I have no idea why fish do such weird things when the lights go out though

Lolol at the very end it looks like an octopus tentacle attacks the mandarin.

I always find it cute when fish do weird stuff

Maybe he just really wanted to stretch out and only felt comfortable enough to do it when it's dark? :)

My salty fish don't do anything odd but my school of harlequin rasbora occasionally swim back and forth across my tank and each time they come to the right side of my tank they all circle around the suction cup holding my filter in place.

Back
Top Bottom