Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to atjohns84
Depending on where you get your live rock, it my come with some small sponges, baby anenomes, tube worms (good and bad), and some times a coral polyp or two. Most of the time coral is bought seperately and can be quite expensive.

For cycling, I recommended the Damsel cycling because that is what I had been taught and what had worked for me. My damsel came through it ok. I have heard of people cycling tanks with just LR, LS and crabs. In my 29 gal i wasn't going to be able to put more than a few small fish (like damsels) in the tank so I didn't have to worry about what to do with the fish. If I was doing a bigger tank where the damsel would cause trouble, I would go with crabs, LS and LR.

Most of the time, the powerheads stay on. A lot of inverts (coral, anenomes, scallops, etc.) rely on current for filter feeding. Some fish and inverts may need low current. This is where the reading comes in.

10 Gal Fresh Water - Red Belly Pacu, Pleco, Albino Catfish, Rams Horn Snails

College Tankl-- 29 Gal Saltwater- Skilter Filter, Powerhead, CC, 30 lbs Live Rock, Yellow Tang, 2 Damsels, Tomato Clown, Banded Coral Shrimp, Flame Scallop, Leather Finger Coral, Leather Coral, Purple/Red Mushroom Coral, 2 emerald crabs, Random little anenomes, feather dusters and hermit crabs, Orange Linckia Star, Xenia

Home Tank - 55 gal SW
atjohns84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
Ok sweet. Do you think I should get a protein skimmer? They are alot of money, since I am just starting. Also, if I make a reef (which I REALLY want to do), can I also have fish, like clowns, tangs, and other little critters? I guess I shouldnt get into what fish I should buy, so I wont until I get my tank set-up and cycling. I really want to make my tank look like this after awhile http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=60809 It looks so neat! How do you plant the coral? Do you just lay it on the LR and it grows? I am a noob!

40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am pretty new to this also, but honestly i will tell u right now, i have a basic 29 gallon "fish only" tank, and a basic 55 gallon "reef tank" the 29 gallon i was actually able to do for only about 200 dollars... my "reef tank" which is pretty basic cost me about 900 dollars.. A reef setup is HELL for a begginer it has cost me about 100 dollars alone just in chemicals.. you MUST have a excelent lighting setup which runs anywhere from 150-400 dollars, a GOOD protien skimmer like my remora c, and a nice deep sandbed. Honestly you best bet is this, start off with a say 29 gallon "fish only" tank, put in some live sand, a little bit of live rock, a decent biowheel like the penguin 250 or the emperor 400, stock lighting setup, then as time goes on you can work towards a reef setup. but right off the bat a basic reef is ALOT of money. start off small, basic, and i cant stress just relax you will hear soo many different opionions on what to do, you need to do.. If your interested in my advice i will tell you exactly what you should start off with.. good luck again.
29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to atjohns84
Certain fish are "reef safe" certain fish aren't. Most tangs and clowns are great for reef tanks.

Triggers are very popular fish, but most of them do not work well in reef set ups.

Even some crabs are reef safe and some aren't.

Here is a link to a good compatabillity chart.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm

For the most part, I agree with matt. Reef tanks are expensive. In my tank, I have a few cheap corals up high near the lights. Just do your research.

10 Gal Fresh Water - Red Belly Pacu, Pleco, Albino Catfish, Rams Horn Snails

College Tankl-- 29 Gal Saltwater- Skilter Filter, Powerhead, CC, 30 lbs Live Rock, Yellow Tang, 2 Damsels, Tomato Clown, Banded Coral Shrimp, Flame Scallop, Leather Finger Coral, Leather Coral, Purple/Red Mushroom Coral, 2 emerald crabs, Random little anenomes, feather dusters and hermit crabs, Orange Linckia Star, Xenia

Home Tank - 55 gal SW
atjohns84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a light, I just dont know if it's the right kind. it just looks like a plain light to me, but I dont know what to look for. I will take matt's advice, but I am not sure if I will do it that wat. I will consider it though definatly. So what lights are good for corals, and filters and such? Thanks!
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

chances are its a plain normal florecent lamp, look underneath the light, do u just see 1 plain long white bulb? you probably do, thast the light i have on my fish only tank and you know what its fine for fish only. People will tell u several different light setups, for the money in the future if you wana switch ur light so u can get some nice corals and do a reef i would go with a powercompac light, just go to ebay under fish, and look at the lights they have, u want one 10k lightbulb, and one atinic lightbulb, this will give you the basic light spectrum in a reef setup and it will give off a nice warm blue glow... the main thing it goes by is watt the higher the better you want like 3 to 4 wpg, if you want ill help you look for a light just tell me what size tank you have.. For now dont stess, go to the store get urself some aragalive sand, a few pounds of live rock, and so on, tel me what size tank u have and how much money ur working with ill help you decide.. good luck
29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I have a 50 or 55 gallon tank (not sure). I am basically not on a bidget because I will be getting all of this for Christmas.
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
For cycling, I recommended the Damsel cycling because that is what I had been taught and what had worked for me
I strongly disagree with this statement. There are better methods available.
Quote:
A lot of inverts (coral, anenomes, scallops, etc.) rely on current for filter feeding. Some fish and inverts may need low current. This is where the reading comes in.
Also very much inccorect. A select few inverts utilize filter-feeding as a means of nutrition. Most rely heavily on high intensity lighting for energy. Suppliments of a meaty food may be needed depending on species.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well what other good ways are for cyling besides the Damsel way?
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
Old 11-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I mentioned earlier...the fishless method. There is an article in the ARTICLES section at the top of the page.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com