Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
Ok, I just got back from my LFS. They have some really neat fish that I want to buy. They also sell alot of LR and LS too! I asked him what filter he reccomends and he said a wet/dry filter with a sump. I am going to research those now. I am also currently reading my enw book I bought from my LFS also! I am really excited now! But what filter would you reccomend? Even is it isnt a wet/dry. The filter that got the gave you the best performance. I was looking at the Magnum and the Eheim wet/dry systems. I saw the other ones but they are also exspensive. Basically I am looking to sepnd no more than $200.00 on a filter. I want the best for that price.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now I am looking into these filters:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...9&N=2004+22777

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...5&N=2004+22777

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...1&N=2004+22777

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...6&N=2004+22777

Do all of these come with everything needed? Like pumps and filter media and all? Are there any better filters out there? Which is the best of these, you think? Thanks!

Old 11-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am either getting a Fluval 404, or a Magnum 350 Pro. I am really stuck between the 2.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
is this going to be a reef tank?
I would skip the filter.. get a good skimmer.. get a nice pump for a closed loop.. a sump... plenty of LR.. the heater and other accesories and call it a day.. Again.. I dont think the filter is nessisary, Id put that money twoard a better skimmer.. JMHO though..
Old 11-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where can I buy a good, not too expensive sump that comes with everything needed? Also, what skimmers are good enough to replace a filter? I was looking into this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113771 (125 gallon) Is it any good?How much LR and LS should I get? I was thinking like 55-60 pounds of LR and maybe 60 pounds of LS?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:28 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
LOL.. thats the link I gave you on the previous page.. :P yea its been getting good reviews..
other skimmers I would consider ASM G2 or G3 (the G3 is just margainly more expensive so I would go for it)
dont waste your money on live sand.. I would get half liverock and half baserock.. 2lb per gallon total.. 1lb/gal live 1lb/gal baserock and get some playsand (Southdown being the popular but dificult to find brand) some use Yard Right brand.. both are Uber cheap and get the job done.. :P
Old 11-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wait, what is baserock? I know what LR is but never heard of BR? So are you SURE that I should skip the Fluval, and get a good skimmer in it's place? Wouldnt a filter be better though? I am just really confused/stuck
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[quote]
I am just really confused/stuck

This is such a common condition for beginners.....just be patient, everything will come together eventually. Keep asking questions, no matter how silly you may think they are, and follow the wonderful advice you'll get on this forum!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I am going to get a Fluval filter unless somone tells me otherwise. I am pretty sure I have everything else set! Should I get 60 pounds of LR and 50 pounds of LS? Thanks!
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[quote]
I think I am going to get a Fluval filter

I have a fluval 304 running on my 75, but just for circulation: there's nothing in it anymore. Your best bet for filtration, as has already been stated, is live rock. If your tank is 50-55, then 75-100 pounds of rock might work best, depending on your budget.

Live sand, don't waste your money IMO. Buy playsand, let it become live over time. Mine surely did!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com