Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
ted
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok to take Live Rock from Ocean?

Hawaii State Law states: The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS 171-58.5, HRS 205A-44

See this link:
Hawai`i Department of Land and Natural Resources

You cannot break off anything from the Live Reef but anything that becomes removed on its own and rolls into the shoreline is legal. . .

Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hook up send me some!!! Aloha

Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
It is unlawful to take, break or damage, any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life of any type is visibly attached. HAR 13-95-71
That sounds like live rock to me.
Check out The build project
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
That sounds like live rock to me.
I agree...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

"Under Hawaii law it is illegal to take live coral and live rock -- rock that has organisms living in it"
-Starbulletin.com

There is an article online about a gentlemen who was indited for the collection of live rock. Live rock, rock that has living organisms attached or living in it is different from coral rubble (broken fragments of dead coral). It is not ok to collect LR from Hawaii waters regardless of the quantity or the use.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I posted that same article before.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

This thread appears to be asking a question.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

To answer the question. "Is it ok to take live rock from the ocean?"

No it's not. It's wrong to do so as it disrupts nature more then we are disrupting it ourselves. We shouldn't lend a hand even more.

And it's illegal.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
ted
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seems to be some confusion as to what is Live Rock.
When I go to the shore(dont be jealous) I pick the "Rubble"(dead coral) that washes in or has broken off the reef(which is very close to shore). This Rubble has live bacteria living in the "Rubble". So its considered Live Rock.
You cannot break off pieces of the living coral reef to harvest living things on or in them, that is illegal.
You New Yorkers or Mainlanders are just jealous I can go to a young beach, pick live rock and just put it in my tank without curing it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
Seems to be some confusion as to what is Live Rock.
When I go to the shore(dont be jealous) I pick the "Rubble"(dead coral) that washes in or has broken off the reef(which is very close to shore). This Rubble has live bacteria living in the "Rubble". So its considered Live Rock.
You cannot break off pieces of the living coral reef to harvest living things on or in them, that is illegal.
You New Yorkers or Mainlanders are just jealous I can go to a young beach, pick live rock and just put it in my tank without curing it.
Which is it now? This was your original question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
I live in Hawaii and have a 100gal Mixed Reef Tank been running for 4 months.
Presently have about oh 75lbs of live rock straight from the ocean.
Is it ok to add Live Rock straight from the ocean within a matter of few hours from 5 gallon buckets 1/4th filled with ocean water straight to my tank?
What Ive been doing is soaking rock in fresh water for 1 hour to get rid of all unwanted critters first, then shooting rock with a power hose to remove sponges and the likes, then add to tank.
Since rock came straight out the ocean Im thinking my procedure is fine but want your opinions.
thanx
You posted 2 very different "methods" of collecting. Fist you say it came out of the ocean loaded with critters and sponges, then after your state laws were pointed out to you, you say you picked stuff from the shore. Bottom line is you should know what's legal and what isn't and you do what you think is right.

Check out The build project
Closed Thread

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com