Old Live Sand Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have 40 pounds of what used to be live Carib Sea Aragonite sand. I took down my tank 8 months ago cause I did it all wrong. So the sand has been in a bucket just sitting. I know its dead now, but is it still usable? Should I soak it in boiling water to sterilize it or would a good rinse do the trick. I was thinking just ditch that sand and go for all "Reef Flakes" I hear its pretty good and won't get stirred up alot.

You can use it if you choose. Half the time IMO the live sand sold at LFS may have been live at one point but think about how long it's been sitting on the shelves. Some don't even waste there money on live sand. I say save your money and use it.

OK thanks. Ill soak it over night in boiling hot water just to kill anything in there and then rinse it well...

I'd reuse it. I'd give it a good rinsing first though to get as much dead organics and detrius out as possible. save the money.

never had fish in it. I was totally unprepared when starting that tank so just took it down till i was better prepared..

Best thing u could do. Not a hobby to rush into as anyone who had done it will tell you. That sand will become live again. Just seed it with some live rock, rubble, or sand. What kind of tank is it gonna be? Reef? FOWLR?

Best thing u could do. Not a hobby to rush into as anyone who had done it will tell you. That sand will become live again. Just seed it with some live rock, rubble, or sand. What kind of tank is it gonna be? Reef? FOWLR?

Eventually a reef. I LOVE the look of Xenia Coral!!

ChiTownRomeo said:
Eventually a reef. I LOVE the look of Xenia Coral!!

Rinse reuse seed it with a cup of livesand from a friend or local lfs will probably help you out

Nice. Try to get your rock work the way you want it! I must have moved mine around a million times.LOL think of how u want your corals on there.

Back
Top Bottom