Sand Vs Gravel? Yes, this conversation again. Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarsFlower819

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

So, I am sure this question is asked a lot.
Well, I want to ask it again, Sorry!

So, my one of 10 gallon and my 55 gallon has sand. My other 10 gallon has gravel, well river rock.

So I had both in the past, and now in the present, getting back into the hobby. As of now I am planning on a few more tanks, (Some as large as a 200 gallon) some that I have up and with the water running, and I honestly don’t know what to choose. It’s a hard decision for me.

I don’t know exactly what fish I plan on putting in the tanks, I have ideas, but nothing solid yet.

Are there any tricks or tips about cleaning sand or something, that I missed, that makes it easier to clean?

Compare:
I like the look of sand better, but to me, gravel is easier to clean.
My cories love sand, but my loaches love the gravel.
Sand gets everywhere, but I am always scared one of the animals will get hurt on the gravel.
Sand can get in the filter easier, gravel has less chance to.

Same:
Both have to be cleaned really well before put in tank.
Both can make it hard to see the fish. :(
Sand and Gravel can look dirty all the time

Needs:
I want to be able to see my fish, so nothing where they blend in too much.
Easy to clean.
Not expensive.

Things I DON’T Need or Care about:
Live Plants. I don’t care about being able to grow live plants. It isn’t important to me, I don’t prefer live plants.

IF I choose Sand; Should I get Black or a lighter color?
I have black in one fish tank, and it makes it hard to see my darker and smaller fish. But easier to see my albinos.
I have whiteish sand in the other, and it's fine, but not my favorite. But I can see my fish better.

So what are all of your guys opinions on this topic?
And what do you think I should us?
Any advice on which is technically better?

Thank you for any tips and advice!

Well, as far as color that is pretty much a personal preference and mine is to use "natural" color gravel and sand. For the sand and gravel dilemma I would try to go somewhere in between: try to find something with a 2-3mm grain. Most of the gravel that I see in Petsmart has a huge grain that is too big in my opinion and/or it is painted. Even the "natural" color gravel in most pet stores has a clear paint on it and I try to stay away from "painted" rocks. Unpainted gravel is hard to find, so I usually use a coarse sand or firepit sand like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X238VC...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Check out aqua naturals gold pearl gravel. Very small and smooth/round gravel I have Cory cats but did not want sand so spent a lot of time looking for a good gravel for them. I personally have the silver pearl color in a tank but was actually gonna get some more recently but seems can only find the gold pearl so had to buy some of that color instead. Still small round/smooth gravel though :)

Finding sand from a sand blasting supply company, is an option I like. I get water jet Garnet sand you have different grain sizes available like 80, 120. bigger and finer ones too.

Garnet is generally purplish color (often sourced from river in Idaho), though from other countries garnets can be different colors, producing an orange to amber color.

And there are other options. If you get a nice person at the supply company, and be kind to know sometimes they are busier and some are hugely experienced.

As an example Garnet is an angular shape but not really sharp, my fish like it.
Especially Cories.

In post #17 of the linked thread below is an example of construction sand type like from Quikrete, mostly pretty clean (the light tan color sand). Pool filter sand is often recommended, I haven't used it. The red / dark sand is from the recommendation of the sand blasting employee who I asked for a smooth sand which wouldn't be sharp for the Clown Loaches. I did a quick look for the actual sand bag info but didn't see it, maybe could look back in time if I notated it.

In this thread below I also used some little beach "sand" which were pebbles 2mm and were pretty economical from the local rock yard, stones from Mexico. Scroll down to post #6 4th pic in bucket
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/autumskys-congos-lazy-river-80g-370444.html

Anyway, in my present 72G I used my Eco-Complete (use with plants but similar to gravel) with is kinda sharp and granulated texture around the back to the middle, and then that other sand and CaribSea Supernaturals Sunset gold on top to brighten it up some. DW and rocks all over the sand and Eco. It worked out great.

In all that I would go with something which helps you see your fish, as you mention black can really make it hard to see. White is a bugger to maintain.

CaribSea SuperNaturals Peace River is a nice medium natural blend. But when I just looked to check the names, I saw Carolina Creek which might be a great accent gravel. And for chunkier pieces, Gemstone Creek is lovely.

In a natural environment, there is a mix of sizes of sand to rock and creating a natural looking tank, seems to be appreciated by people and fish.
https://caribsea.com/freshwater-substrates/

Number one, to me, is what the inhabitants prefer. Digging/hiding in the substrate means they'll like sand. However, if there's no preference, I like gravel. It seems easier to clean without losing some, as some sand does get sucked up when vacuuming.

Last week at the LFS I saw gorgeous sand substrate in some tanks: they told be it's a combination of one bag of African Sand, which is white and black mixed, + one smaller bag of slightly sparkly white sand mixed in to make it pop. Or, mix sparkly black sand instead. Either way, the effect is dazzling. Had to have it for a new aqua scape, with the addition of white gravel to make a little path to the decor house at the back of the fairyland. The stark sand colors make natural things like driftwood and sea shells really stand out.

Back
Top Bottom