Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Once they start eating corals?

I have had my 90 gallon tank for about a year now, and am starting to have trouble with a fish. I have a really beautiful Coral Beauty who was my first fish. About a week ago, we added this amazing tri-coloured Symphilia (brain coral). I came home Monday to see my Coral Beauty snacking on it, two big holes eaten. I brought it back to the LFS as I really didn't want it to become the most expensive meal in the history of reef tanks, and he is trying to nurse it back to health.

My question is, will my angel now start to eat corals? I never had a problem with her eating corals before, and she doesn't seem to be bothering any of the existing coral (although she likes to nip at my Toadstool, with no apparent adverse effects to it). Should I just get rid of her because I heard once they get a taste for corals, they will no longer be reef safe, or is there a chance that this was an isolated incident?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a chance it was an isolated incident..the angel could have just been snacking on it since you just added it to his/her tank..when's the last time you added anything new

Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

We usually get something new about once a month or so, the last addition was a red open brain which was added about a month ago, and she never touched it, still not touching it.

Should I try adding another new thing that is cheaper and see if she goes for that just because it is new? I would love to get the Symphilia back, but probably not if the Coral Beauty is still in the tank. I think I might have to choose between the coral and the fish.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its hard to say,,the angel is just doing what comes natural ..its instinct ..I was never able to keep anything with my angels(other than shrooms and rics),,tried dozens of things..I obviously chose to keep angels
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes we have to decide fish over corals or corals over fish. I like them both but I have what I call my junk tank that anything and everything I don't really care if it gets eaten or not goes into I have a lemonpeel in there so if it starts eating it isn't going to upset me.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with joy.. if the angel is gonna be in question then you wouldn't wanna risk any more expensive corals until its gone so either stick with corals you aren't to worried about gettin nibbled on or rehome the angel... Time to do some thinking
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

It is true. Of course I have a soft spot for this fish because she was my first, and she survived a wicked tank crash in the summer, so she's a trooper! Unfortunately, it is not within the budget to have a second tank, otherwise, I would keep them both! In the end, I think I will choose coral over fish in this case, since I can always get another fish, but might not be able to add any more corals with this fish in there. Hopefully the LFS will take her back, maybe even give me some money back for her.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought about doing this before I got rid of my nippers but I don't know how well it would have worked but joy should be able to give a good opinion on it.. since I also don't have the budget for a second tank I was gonna put a screen divider for 1/3 of my tank just for my high end corals so I could have more aggressive fish yet still keep some colorful coral..just a thought : )
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

On the plus side, this means I get to choose another fish. Any suggestions? I have a 90 gallon tank with the following fish: 2 ocelaris clowns, a midas blenny, a marine betta, a fairy wrasse, a purple firefish, a wachman goby and a yellow tang.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was interested in a coral beauty but concerned about its reef safeness too. My LFS here in Korea said I'd only have to worry about brain corals. I wasn't into brain corals until I saw a gorgeous one today I almost bought. I got torches instead but might get that brain if it's still there next time.

Tags
coral, corals, eat, eating, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com