Open Brain Coral - I think mine has an eating disorder!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok... about a month ago I posted here about my Open Brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) eating a shrimp molt, then spending the day deciding it didn't like it and spitting it back out. Well...

I look at my tank this morning to see this:

img_836445_0_646e8c482c237e434cf0dcc94eb25bae.jpg

Exact words that went through my head: "Now what have you gone and eaten NOW?!!"

I did a quick inventory of the tank and didn't find anything obvious missing. All fish were present. Couldn't quite figure out what was making that obvious bulge. So I figure I'll eventually find out and keep an eye on it.

A few hours later, it looks like this:

img_836445_1_33246f4b7639a4098e46345144828c33.jpg

Hmm... that sure looks like the shape of a trochus snail. Naw... couldn't be. How could it snare one of those?

So after a bit more, it then reveals the mystery:

img_836445_2_2e983f5d21d1c122cee27fb5cf280171.jpg

Yup. Trochus snail. Wow. Not thinking it's going to come out alive. And here's the latest shot with the biggest portion finally out of its mouth. Things should be going quicker now that the "big stretch" is over.

img_836445_3_fdcda155f1868c20eb1539b24c09f325.jpg

Still blows me away that the thing would ingest a trochus snail! Only thing I can think of is that the snail toppled off my rock above the open brain coral, and fell upside down onto the open brain early in the morning when the lights were out and its tentacles were in full show. Then since it couldn't right itself, or retreated into its shell because of the tentacles stinging it, the coral just decided to sample it.

I can't imagine the snail's going to come out and just walk away. I'm guessing it's dead by now. But who knows! I'll update this when the story is finally over!

****UPDATE:

Here's the latest photo. It didn't take long for it to completely rid itself of it once it got "over the hump."

img_836445_4_80daaf2f7ccae4da56863f78698ed48b.jpg

I've moved the snail off to the side now and will see if there's any sign of life!

Unbelieveable...I saw mine "eat" for the first time last night. Amazing sight. Mine has 2 mouths, is this still one organism?

I have noticed that if anything and I do mean anything lands on your brain coral it will try to eat it. Mine has done similar things with no ill effects. They can't see so if something lands near a mouth they will try and eat it.

Those are some great photos though!

I agree, very nice shots of the situation.

How did the snail do? Any signs of life?

usmcmarc said:
... Mine has 2 mouths, is this still one organism?

I've wondered about that too because mine also has two mouths. The other one is on the opposite side from where the snail is coming out. Think it's still just "one" polyp, but maybe in the slow process of dividing? Not sure about these...

As far as the snail goes, it became crab and nassarius snail food. Not sure if it was alive or not when it came out, but after an hour or so when the crabs moved in, it wasn't alive anymore.

Must be the week of strange things for my aquarium. Just an hour ago I found a little egg mass, maybe 6-8 eggs, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" in diameter, down on a flat portion of my rock. I *think* it might be from my Bangaii Cardinal since it's in the general vicinity of "its" corner, and it seems to be hovering nearby.

It's like having your own little Nature Channel!

I dont feed mine but every once in awhile I`ll have an asternia star fall on them and they never come back up. Evidently they must be quite tasty.

Well, Well. After I posted my comment about my open brain having two mouths I thought to myself "Well, at least It doesn't have four mouths" . Taking a close look today, guess what I see.....It has FOUR mouths, and eats just like yours...anything that falls on it. And it devours it in no time.

Look what it's like only 5 min after lights out....

"FEEEED ME SEYMORE!!!!!!!"

Attachments

• brain.jpg
    brain.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 120
I have an open brain that seems to be getting smaller? I target feed it krill when the tentacles come out. It takes about 1/2 hour for it to eat one krill and is an amazing thing to watch. Often I have to push the hermit crabs off as they will climb right up onto it and steal the food. Should I be feeding it anything else?

Great Pictures and it is like having your own little nature show. I'm always peaking in on them just to see whats going on.

Thanks
Betsy

Awesome stories folks! Kurt, yours does seem to like to sample all kinds of stuff. I wonder if it has no taste buds and simply spits out what it can't digest...?

I have an open brain that seems to be getting smaller? I target feed it krill when the tentacles come out. It takes about 1/2 hour for it to eat one krill and is an amazing thing to watch. Often I have to push the hermit crabs off as they will climb right up onto it and steal the food. Should I be feeding it anything else?

Great Pictures and it is like having your own little nature show. I'm always peaking in on them just to see whats going on.

Thanks
Betsy

If you're talking whole krill... that's too big. Either chop it up into tiny pieces, or use something smaller like mysis. Small bits of chopped clams work too. I'm guessing it's getting no nutrition from the krill at all because it's too big and it can't digest it. It's probably spitting it back out when you're not looking, or not digesting it all and getting rid of the rest.

{Edit: just saw your other post too. Agree with the others - it doesn't "need" food, but it won't mind either. As long as it's appropriate size.}

Last edited:
Mine has stopped "looking" for food. I have not seen its feelers out looking in the past couple months. It's very healthy looking and actually has grown in size. I guess the lights are giving it what it needs.

Back
Top Bottom