Open Brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packagerat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just brought home a red open brain and was curious how I would acclimate it to my tank. Also can it be exposed to air for a short time when I place it from the bag to the tank?

Depending on how close the lfs' water parameters are to yours, acclimation can take anywhere from 1hr-2hrs. For a 2hr slow drip, about 2-5 drops/second should suffice. I would also float the bag for 15-30mins. Yes, it can be exposed to air.

I have it drip acclimating now. Thanks for your input. This is my first open brain and I dont want to mess up. Once again thanks.

This coral can be touchy. Also note that coloration can be an indicator as to placement within your aquarium. Green and brown specimens oftentimes come from shallower depths, but since you have a red variant I would choose a shaded and/or indirect lighting placement upon the substrate with moderate flow.

Pretty good advice from James. I would like to stress that you keep him on the substrate. They do much better on the sand. Hey, What about a pic.

A couple photos of the new coral

img_837149_0_8f33456d421b81a4ecfab3f3e31769cb.jpg

img_837149_1_49a1b0df2814f6fa5e4c6e6e02d71880.jpg

Nice Trach! I would create a physical barrier between it and the Fungia. Fungia have strong nematocysts and Trachs are rather sensitive so the latter is more likely to succumb to infection if stung.

Back
Top Bottom