Orange spot mantis PSA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet but I'd like to help spread the word on the destructive collection process used to collect the orange spot mantis (G.Ternatensis)

"Unlike most mantis shrimp, G. ternatensis makes its home in finely branching, delicate corals such as Pocillopora. Their dens are easily identified amongst the corals. To quickly collect the mantis for sale in the aquarium trade, the coral colonies are unceremoniously smashed to access the mantis den and the corals are severely damaged or destroyed altogether. Coral reefs are in enough danger without humans intentionally doing damage to them while collecting animals to sell for our entertainment. I would strongly recommend you chose a different variety of mantis.

Very often, because G. ternatensis has colorful markings, they are often misidentified as a Peacock mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus). It should be noted that O. Scyllarus also has some issues. O. scyllarus requires some very specific aquarium conditions and is highly susceptible to shell rot. It should not be kept in a lighted aquarium which is one of the known factors in shell rot. Additionally, over the past 10-15 years, Dr. Roy Caldwell has noticed a sharp decline in large adult males in the wild. This would make the Peacock mantis another poor choice. Unfortunately, this is one of the most commonly available mantis shrimp and one of the most desired in the aquarium trade.

So, G. ternatensis and O. scyllarus are not the best choices for your new best buddy and you want a colorful and interactive mantis shrimp. Now what? Don't despair. There are a couple of better choices when it comes to mantis shrimp varieties. They might require you look a little further and spend a little more time locating them, but your effort with go a long way toward conserving both coral habitat and these awesome creatures. Gonodactylaceus graphurus is a very colorful and a better choice for your new pal. Also, Gonodactylaceus glabrous is another good choice as is Gonodactylus smithii, another beautiful and interactive mantis and a fairly common on in the aquarium trade."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom