Orange sun polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys got an orange sun polyp the other day been about 4 days and it still hasn't opened yet. Water perameters are , ph 8.1 alk 8 dkh calcium 480. Mag 1150. All seems well. Ammonia nitrate nitrite undetectable. The only thing I notice is once and a while there is a three stripe damsel takes a little peck at it, but not continuously it's got about 20 heads on it. It should come around eh,?

They need food. Try to squirt little food in tank then wait. Give some time should open up. If not keep squirtting small amounts in tank. Mine takes time to open aftet food in tank. They will open at night too. Needs to be direct fed daily. Sun corals are not photosynthetic. Each polyp needs to be fed. Got pic?

image-1264272590.jpg

Yeah I have yellow ones already for about a 2 years now. The orange are a new inquiry. There is a pic in salt water members show case. About half way down. The thread is ( hey guys I figured I would show u some new pics.

Have you had a look at night? I lost one as it only opened after lights out, no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to open during the day and I got fed up of giving it midnight feasts.

I got one from an LFS recently that they were "training" to open at a decent early hour. Basically tempting it with food every other day at 6PM.
So I'm doing the same and got the first real response yesterday. About 4 days after bringing it home actually.
Cut the top off a plastic bottle (check YouTube) and cover it while feeding. Stop water movement. This just keeps the food where you want it long enough for it to respond & open up. It took ours about 40 minutes last night, then we used puffs of water from the feeder tube to stir up the chunks in the bottle cover again. It took a while but was fun to see it finally respond. I don't think we got all of them fed but we'll get there.

- D

My sun coral is doing awesome, it's constantly growing new polyps and basically thriving. There is no way I can feed everyone, it just doesn't happen. I read all the time that if you don't feed each polyp it will die but so far this advice is hog wash. I feed it frozen mysis about every second day and I'd say half the polyps get food each feed and it seems to be just fine. I'm no expert and i'm not telling you not to feed each one if you can but I've found no ill effects by not...:)

Just sayin...

I only feed my sun coral like maybe three times a month and have a very healthy coral so feeding everyday is not needed maybe once a week is fine..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120216_171232.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120216_171232.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 77
Well I'll try the ol bottle technique tomorrow, but the other one I have just goes in a high flow spot, it's opens everyday around 6 o clock and when I feed my tank it gets a sufficient amount as well. I direct feed it about once a month. Just to be safe. But so far still no luck with the new orange one

Back
Top Bottom