Oscarr19's 100 Gallon System Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouu those are definitely pretty!

I'm actually thinking of setting up a small frag tank, maybe 15-20 gallons. I was thinking of lighting it with these par38 bulbs. You think one would be enough?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261885143832

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea one would probably work depending on the size of tank. You can place frags accordingly, high light in middle, low light off to the edge. I'm actually debating on setting up a frag tank myself that I made. Not 100% on lighting of I do yet, but those are an option. Mine is right under 15 gallons.

Q3fJ2Pc.jpg

Yea one would probably work depending on the size of tank. You can place frags accordingly, high light in middle, low light off to the edge. I'm actually debating on setting up a frag tank myself that I made. Not 100% on lighting of I do yet, but those are an option. Mine is right under 15 gallons.

Q3fJ2Pc.jpg

Nice, i like the rimless look! What are the dimensions on that?

As for me, the 15g is a standard 2 foot tank. It's still on hold for now though. I've got my hands full with planning the cube and such. I also picked up a jebao RW-8 for the upcoming build and it is pushing water at an unbelievable rate. A little overkill for my 32 but i've got no dead spots and have yet to see any signs of stress.

Plus... New corals coming soon! I should be picking up 2 acan frags in a couple of days, one being an ultra! The list also includes a purple tip gold torch and possibly a green tip aswell :)

Nice, i like the rimless look! What are the dimensions on that?

As for me, the 15g is a standard 2 foot tank. It's still on hold for now though. I've got my hands full with planning the cube and such. I also picked up a jebao RW-8 for the upcoming build and it is pushing water at an unbelievable rate. A little overkill for my 32 but i've got no dead spots and have yet to see any signs of stress.

Plus... New corals coming soon! I should be picking up 2 acan frags in a couple of days, one being an ultra! The list also includes a purple tip gold torch and possibly a green tip aswell :)

The frag tank is 24" L, 18" W, & 8" T. I wanted it to be the same width as my 40 breeder so I could put it beside it and build the stand to match. But this is down the road. Need to upgrade some equipment and will also have to scoot the tank down like 6" and somehow move my hanging light (ceiling mount) to get things how I want it. The new corals sound cool, can't wait to see them.

The frag tank is 24" L, 18" W, & 8" T. I wanted it to be the same width as my 40 breeder so I could put it beside it and build the stand to match. But this is down the road. Need to upgrade some equipment and will also have to scoot the tank down like 6" and somehow move my hanging light (ceiling mount) to get things how I want it. The new corals sound cool, can't wait to see them.

That's a great footprint for a frag tank. I'd love to make something similar but I don't think I'd trust myself lol

I should be picking up the frags tomorrow so I'll try to get photos up by tomorrow night.

As promised! I played around with a DSLR for some of the pictures as well. I'm no photographer but i think i got some pretty nice shots!

DSLR shots first.

17595877696_b398818dff_c.jpg

17435900569_7a54e81b9a_c.jpg

17622297621_88250ef5cf_c.jpg

17595952746_1b1df8bc5f_c.jpg

My favorite!

17622331451_74dd25a044_c.jpg

New corals!

17001978353_4e15c42662_c.jpg

17622390411_e322797fff_c.jpg

16999879744_80165e878d_c.jpg

And some natural shots...

17622414995_282bb1148b_c.jpg

17436065909_29116562b5_c.jpg

16999851654_63748165e8_c.jpg

Nice pics Oscar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice pics Oscar.

Thanks a lot!

I just acclimated the new corals soon so once they open up fully i'll be posting some more shots! Hopefully i can get my hands on that DSLR again :cool:

So, I finally found time to get some quick pictures! Unfortunately, they're crappy iPhone shots that do absolutely no justice but they're better than nothing! Here goes...

Tricolor Valida and Ultimate Bonsai. Not looking their best but they are fresh cuts.

18213744402_01cff4b8a1_b.jpg

Acan 1

18218703451_cb45469051_b.jpg

Ultra Acan

17596867393_88a0b086b7_b.jpg

Gold Torches. Also fresh cut which resulted in a little gold loss but it's still there! I'm gonna try to get the DSLR out again because the iPhone makes them look brown/purple :(

18031278289_0296c1076b_b.jpg

Also, what is the best wrasse for pest control? I was thinking of a six line but I know they can be quite the little troublemaker. Plus, I'd like to have a second wrasse in the cube if possible.

All very nice pick ups! Great choices in those Acros, both some of my favorites!

Quick Update.

I'm thinking of getting another RBTA. I know i had to get rid of the last one due to its size but they're just too cool. I'm also thinking of adding a six line wrasse to my tank just for pest control. I've had a few issues with some sps corals and i feel that a wrasse might help ease the stress. Now, i haven't physically seen anything and i'm not sure whether high nitrates were a factor (which is now fixed) but i'd like to have a fail safe.

Anyway, I finally cleaned out the 24x24x18 cube and I'm really excited for this build. I was a little hesitant due to its lack of length but i'm really starting to like its foot print. However, I'm not set on whether i want to drill it or not. I'd obviously love to have a sump, but i don't know if i can trust myself to drill it. In the meantime, I'm going to devise some plans for a DIY stand, which will also be my first!

A little bit of discouraging news :( I believe I have a black bug or AEFW problem. I've completely lost an acro frag that now appears to have small non-moving light brown specs which could be AEFW egg sacs, plus I've seen some black bugs skitter around on some of my frags. I'll try to get some pictures up for identifications purposes.

At this point, I'm unsure what to do. I know I wanted a wrasse for pest control and I've read that melanurus are great for flatworms and sometimes eat red/black bugs. I know it's not a sure fix but I don't want to mess up my corals and rock to get out all my inverts so that I can dose interceptor.

A little bit of discouraging news :( I believe I have a black bug or AEFW problem. I've completely lost an acro frag that now appears to have small non-moving light brown specs which could be AEFW egg sacs, plus I've seen some black bugs skitter around on some of my frags. I'll try to get some pictures up for identifications purposes.

At this point, I'm unsure what to do. I know I wanted a wrasse for pest control and I've read that melanurus are great for flatworms and sometimes eat red/black bugs. I know it's not a sure fix but I don't want to mess up my corals and rock to get out all my inverts so that I can dose interceptor.

Sorry to hear about the bugs Oscar. I don't have any experience with that but I'm sure someone on here can help you out. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about the bugs Oscar. I don't have any experience with that but I'm sure someone on here can help you out. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll be getting the melanurus tonight so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks, I'll be getting the melanurus tonight so I'll see how it goes.

They are beautiful fish! Hope you get it cleared up. Just lost my wild yellow Acan not that long ago. I think it just didn't like my tank. No bugs or anything seen.

So, the melanurus has been in the tank for about a week now. Unfortunately, i don't see much of it except when the lights are out. I'm assuming it is just adjusting to my light cycle as the yellow wrasse i previously owned did.

As far as the pest problem is feared i had, it seems to have either never existed or gotten better. My two new valida and bonsai frags are encrusting nicely and coloring up well so i can't complain :lol:

I'm going to observe for a little while longer and if all goes well, I believe i will leave the tank as is and stop playing around with it. I remember when my previous 20G hit maturity, the less i played with it the better it went! All new and old corals were thriving, fish were happy, and most of all i was ecstatic! Ever since I upgraded, it was as if i had started a new tank to build up to. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it but i miss that stability. I know that WC's played a big role and i've since stepped up my game and it only accelerating the process which makes my life easier. So from now on, I'm going to halt any upgrades, let my sps grow in, and let my aquarium mature. I rushed this upgrade and it didn't go as smooth as i wanted so I'm gonna be patient with the next one!

Sorry for the long post, i just thought i should share! I promise a DSLR photo dump is on the way and I'm itching for a new SPS frag :cool:

Ahh yes.... the new SPS frag itch. LOL. I get those from time to time and I've only found one cure for it. ;) Can't wait to see the photo dump!

I might just cure it by tomorrow! And thanks Donaldson, I took a few shots last night so I'll try to get them uploaded this evening.

As promised...

19390207681_bd7915ac90_b.jpg

18763612834_689b3bd557_b.jpg

Is it just me or did i unknowingly have a Red Planet? :blink:

18765118553_609767cdb8_b.jpg

19379578272_a4eae2b95a_b.jpg

19379788852_1a068be522_b.jpg

More to come! Plus, the new addition :cool:

Back
Top Bottom