Oscarr19's 100 Gallon System Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did I forget to mention it is a rimless tank? I just finished painting the back and here it is sitting on the stand!

15989266391_8e50fbe93b.jpg
[/url]

Also, quick question. Because the stand is wider than the aquarium, should I centre the tank on the stand or can I leave it flush to the front like in the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I forget to mention it is a rimless tank? I just finished painting the back and here it is sitting on the stand!

15989266391_8e50fbe93b.jpg
[/URL]

Also, quick question. Because the stand is wider than the aquarium, should I centre the tank on the stand or can I leave it flush to the front like in the picture?

I'm really jealous of that tank man! I think it looks good the way it is sitting, but its completely up to you.

I would personally leave it up front, so you can get behind it better. I have my tank sitting 8inches off the wall.

It also gives it a pedestal look the more away from the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies guys! The only thing that worries me is that the stand isn't level. It actually leans front a bit and is going to be worse once filled with water. I will be shimming the stand level though. Still think it won't be a problem?

In other news, a friend gave me a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 for this tank which is pretty cool. I was initially just gonna run 2 AC50s.

Thanks for the replies guys! The only thing that worries me is that the stand isn't level. It actually leans front a bit and is going to be worse once filled with water. I will be shimming the stand level though. Still think it won't be a problem?

In other news, a friend gave me a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 for this tank which is pretty cool. I was initially just gonna run 2 AC50s.

As long as you can shim it and get it very close to level I don't think there would be a problem. You will notice exactly how I level it I on that rimless tank though from the water level line. I heard good things about those skimmers which I wad kinda surprised about. A buddy of mine has a really big one and he loves it.

My setup isn't level...I hate seeing the water level going off at an angle, but not much I can do about it at this stage in the game. Just get some shims and prop things up until it is level like Paul said. It is a really interesting stand, you've put so much effort into it already you might as well make sure everything is squared away before you add water.

I always had the intention of shimming. I was just worried the stand would be too front heavy but I think I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, up to now, I just need to cut out some egg crate to line my tank, change RODI pre-filters, shim, and clean up the basement. After that, we're good to go on transfer!

I always had the intention of shimming. I was just worried the stand would be too front heavy but I think I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, up to now, I just need to cut out some egg crate to line my tank, change RODI pre-filters, shim, and clean up the basement. After that, we're good to go on transfer!

Sounds good! I'm paranoid about large volumes of water crashing onto my hardwood floors also! I guess that why when I built my stand I went way overkill. LOL. Its only holding a 38 gallon tank but could probably easily hold triple the weight. Are you going to do a sump on this tank?

No sump on the 32 but I am planning it when I get the eventual 65. I just don't want to go through the hassle of drilling or the headache or a HOB overflow for a tank that probably won't even be up for more than a year.

No sump on the 32 but I am planning it when I get the eventual 65. I just don't want to go through the hassle of drilling or the headache or a HOB overflow for a tank that probably won't even be up for more than a year.

Understandable.

Mainly for protecting the glass. When I removed the sand from my 20, the rocks scraping against the bare bottom tank made me cringe lol

Sooooo I transferred everything recently. I wish I could say everything went perfectly but that never happens.

The transfer did go well but today I came home to the skimmer cup full and overflown. That was a mess but luckily I only lost about a gallon or two of water. I'm probably going to drill the cup and have tubing go down into a bucket just in case.

Now, because all my corals are epoxied I had trouble finding a good aquascape and ended up breaking a bunch of SPS tips. It was frustrating to say the least. At this point, I think I'm going to remove all my coral and rescape the tank completely. The coral are going to be pissed and will look like crap for a while but as long as I don't get any losses and end up with a decent scape, I'm ok with it.

In good news, I traded in the anemone for a really nice and big brain coral. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my tank sorted out tomorrow so I can take it home Monday or Tuesday.

Wish me luck guys! I'm a little down right now but I know I gotta be patient. With the bigger size, I gotta work hard once again to regain that picture perfect tank. There's always light at the end of the tunnel!

Mainly for protecting the glass. When I removed the sand from my 20, the rocks scraping against the bare bottom tank made me cringe lol

Makes sense. I think I will be doing that next build. (y)

Sooooo I transferred everything recently. I wish I could say everything went perfectly but that never happens.

The transfer did go well but today I came home to the skimmer cup full and overflown. That was a mess but luckily I only lost about a gallon or two of water. I'm probably going to drill the cup and have tubing go down into a bucket just in case.

Now, because all my corals are epoxied I had trouble finding a good aquascape and ended up breaking a bunch of SPS tips. It was frustrating to say the least. At this point, I think I'm going to remove all my coral and rescape the tank completely. The coral are going to be pissed and will look like crap for a while but as long as I don't get any losses and end up with a decent scape, I'm ok with it.

In good news, I traded in the anemone for a really nice and big brain coral. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my tank sorted out tomorrow so I can take it home Monday or Tuesday.

Wish me luck guys! I'm a little down right now but I know I gotta be patient. With the bigger size, I gotta work hard once again to regain that picture perfect tank. There's always light at the end of the tunnel!

Man, those rescapes can be insanely frustrating. Especially if you are a perfectionist! And I know your pain on the epoxy and coral breakage! A complete rescape is probably for the best if you are picky and want it picture perfect. Like you said there Is always light at the end of the tunnel! Things will grown and fill in and it shall be beautiful once again! I want to see that brain coral you got for that nem! Hopefully they gave you a decent deal, I know that most LFS don't. That nem was pretty awesome! Best of luck to you on the rebuild!

These are the best shots I could get with this lousy iPhone camera. I work at my LFS so I get pretty good deals ;)

15833860468_cfdb174df6.jpg
[/url]

16020588732_4a1822a533.jpg
[/url]

16020588762_2af86abb0b.jpg
[/url]

That's a nice brain man! This tank seems to e coming together nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom