Out of control Colt Coral!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajbully

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so I bought a relatively small piece of Colt coral last year and within the past 12 months the thing has pretty much taken over the entire left side of my tank. It's HUGE! Can you frag a Colt coral? If so do you just cut it? If not I my have to take it back to my lfs for credit.

Ahhhhh the colt coral, how I hate them lol. The branches can be cut with very sharp shears or a razor and they will produce copious amounts of slime when being worked with. If you can remove the rock and make the cuts out of the water and then rinse the coral before placing back into the tank...all the better. Either route, make sure there is adequate flow over the newly cut areas and it wouldn't hurt to add some carbon just in case :)

I had the same thing happen yrs ago. They are easy to frag. I`m sure you could sell them to other aquarist and to some LFS. Do as James said and remove from the tank first.

You can frag it pretty easy, I do it to my capnella finger leather often. As mentioned, they do slime a bit so removing it from the tank first is a good idea. Take a sharp razor blade or scaple and slice off a branch. The thicker the better. Make sure you have a towel to dry the end and use super glue gel to secure the cut end to a small chunk of LR rubble. Let the glue cure for a few minutes before placing it back into the tank. I suggest placing it in an area of very low flow for a week or two. Finally...sell the corals to local reefers or trade them in at the LFS for credit. This is a very resilient coral and does well when fragged.

Back
Top Bottom