Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Out of control Colt Coral!

so I bought a relatively small piece of Colt coral last year and within the past 12 months the thing has pretty much taken over the entire left side of my tank. It's HUGE! Can you frag a Colt coral? If so do you just cut it? If not I my have to take it back to my lfs for credit.

ajbully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Ahhhhh the colt coral, how I hate them lol. The branches can be cut with very sharp shears or a razor and they will produce copious amounts of slime when being worked with. If you can remove the rock and make the cuts out of the water and then rinse the coral before placing back into the tank...all the better. Either route, make sure there is adequate flow over the newly cut areas and it wouldn't hurt to add some carbon just in case

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I had the same thing happen yrs ago. They are easy to frag. I`m sure you could sell them to other aquarist and to some LFS. Do as James said and remove from the tank first.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
You can frag it pretty easy, I do it to my capnella finger leather often. As mentioned, they do slime a bit so removing it from the tank first is a good idea. Take a sharp razor blade or scaple and slice off a branch. The thicker the better. Make sure you have a towel to dry the end and use super glue gel to secure the cut end to a small chunk of LR rubble. Let the glue cure for a few minutes before placing it back into the tank. I suggest placing it in an area of very low flow for a week or two. Finally...sell the corals to local reefers or trade them in at the LFS for credit. This is a very resilient coral and does well when fragged.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

colt, control, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com