Overflow Box is sucking air!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cushingme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! my overflow box is sucking air every few minutes and sounds like a toilet! I have tried placing an air hose in the out take tube. That made it so it wasn't doing it all the time. I tried turning down the flow into the tank but I don't want to slow it down to much!!! Any ideas of what else I can do? :?:

i when to the lfs and talked to them about it. they sold me this plastic tube thing that you stick in side of the bulk head and it comes out the top. i really do not know how to tell you what it is or what it is called. it cost me $13 but i really do not mind paying the 13 for haveing it make no noise. you should go to a lfs and ask them if they have any thing to help.

i will try my best to make a pic of it here it gose

xxx __________________
xxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx---------------------------\
|==|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\
xxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-------------------------------
xxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxx-------------------------

the "x" are just to show space

to the far right the tube is like 1" id and it is cut at an angle
to the far left it has a little stem and a little hole at the end of the tube maybe like 1/4" or may be smaller but it works just like a muffler dose on a car. i think hope this helps.

If you don't have the filter on, add a filter over the bulkhead. That solved our problem. If that's not enough search the net for Durso standpipe.

I got a 12" piece of flexible hose and coiled it upwards and then straight out from my overflow line and that put just enough pressure into my overflow to stop the noise.

I used the durso in an over flow box made out of a plastic 5 g hex tank cut down. It works great, cept I did not put in a large enough bulkhead. So, I have to valve down my return a bit to avoid over flow.. will be cutting a new bulkhead soon..
durso works great and is easy to make and customize.

Back
Top Bottom