OVERFLOW BOXES, DANGER OF FLOODING????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PRINCE_NAMOR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:?: I was recently told to set up a 100 gallon I have as a fresh water tank because it is not drilled (and I dont want to take the chance of it breaking if I have it drilled) and the overflow boxes used in wet dry filters can flood your home :cry:. How big of a problem has this been?

Any overflow either built in or hang on will have a risk of overflowing into your floor but thats where responsible tank maintance comes in. If proper maintance is done overflows will run for years and not have a single errent drop fall onto the floor.

The danger is not the overflow itself running over. If the siphon breaks, the return pump will continue to pump water up to the main tank, but it won't be flowing back to the sump. The tank will run over until the sump has been emptied. As fishfreek said, proper setup and maintenance will reduce the chances of this to nearly nothing.

What about siphon breaks during power outages??? Are there any preventive measures we can take? I recently read something about drilling holes in the return.

Anyone know if that will work?

Prince,

Depending on the overflow box that you choose will determine how you have your setup....setup. A CPR overflow box (thats the name brand) has an airline hole on the top in which you have to put a powerhead attached to the overflow airline spout heres a link for a pic of reference:
http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1517

To draw the water out of the syphon i would recommend a rio 600SVT. These work better than other PH since they draw the air from the intake not the output of the PH. A built in overflow box will be far more better and easier to maintain. I have both so you'll have to take my word on that. A built in overflow you wont have to worry about a syphon breaking etc.

You are correct on the situation of drilling a hole on the return to break the syphon of flow back down to the sump. What you will want to do is drill a 1/8" hole just below the water line for this to work. Otherwise what happens when the power goes out is since the return is a "pressured line" from the PH pushing the water back up it will begin to syphon the water back down until the syphon breaks. Then your sump has the possibility of overflowing! :? Thats not ever fun! Make sure you test your setup every so often to make sure the water that does syphon down to the sump will not overflow your system.
Glad to help! :D

gooyferret said:
Prince,

To draw the water out of the syphon i would recommend a rio 600SVT. These work better than other PH since they draw the air from the intake not the output of the PH.

I'd have to disagree on the choice of powerheads. IME, Rios have a bad habit of not restarting once they have some hours on them. Although it's true that the Rio does pull air through the impeller, a Maxi Jet 1200 will reprime a siphon tube by itself with the included attachment and, IMO, is a much more reliable pump. A venturi attachment to draw the air through the impeller is available for the MJ, although it's not really necessary, from Premium Aquatics.

I go with U tube overflows explicitly because in power outages they do NOT lose syphon. Drilling small holes just below the water level on your return lines will break the backsyphon of the water draining back into the sump fro your return lines. Making sure the return lines are not to deep in the water and having a sump of enough capcity to hold the water that does backflow is another way to help protect yourself from floods.

One way flap valves are also of a benifit to protect from the back syphon. All of these methods combined will help even more.

Syphons break when air is introduced so yes having holes drilled in your return lines will break the syphon assuming the holes are kept free and clear of algae and are not allowed to get covered with corline. The coralien will effectivly seal the holes thus negating their benifit.

It all comes down to regular upkeep. Check your overflow daily for things that might be obstruting the drain lines. Check the sump level and never fill it beyond an established "full" line. This line should be established by testing the power outage situation and making sure that there is enough reserve capacity in the sump to hold any backflow from your returns. If you have the syphon break holes make sure they are free and clear. An overflow is not "Set it and forget it".

:mrgreen: Sorry but I had to toss that line in as its engraned in my brain from that stuipd infomercial.

BUY A BIG ENOUGH SUMP FOR YOUR TANK AND YOULL HAVE NO TROUBLES.THE SUMP IS THE HEART OF YOUR REEF TANK.IT HOLDS ALL YOUR EQUIPTMENT AND ITS OUT OF SITE. AS FOR THE FLOODING FEAR YOU HAVE OVER FLOW BOXES THAT ARE DESIGNED AROUND THAT SOLE PROBLEM SO DONT WORRY AND JUST MAKE SURE YOU BUY A BIG ENOUGH SUMP THE BIGGER THE BETTER!! GOOD LUCK!!

Back
Top Bottom