overflow noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveNandi

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've just begun setting up our new 46 gallon reef aquarium, and have gotten as far as putting in the live rock and starting water circulation going with a hang-on-the-back overflow system that goes to a sump (skimmer in the sump), with a pump that returns the water to the main tank. My problem is that the setup is really noisy. It was actually even worse, but my husband put a straw into the water vortex that flows down to the hose, getting rid of the awful "blurping" noise from air getting sucked in along with the water. However, it is still quite loud (like running the faucet to fill your tub). The major sources of noise are
1. the water splashing from the siphon into the big water reservoir of the overflow that sits behind the tank, right before it flows down into the hose and
2. the water splashing into the sump from the end of the hose, which is about 1 -2 inches above water surface level (we were told it is a bad idea to have the hose go to the bottom of the sump, though I don't know why).

Any idea what I can do about either/both of these problems? I have been around other aquariums, and have never heard one NEARLY as loud as ours, so I feel certain that we've set up something not quite right.

Thanks for your help,
Andrea

I rolled up a new kitchen cleaning sponge (the thin one thats abrasive and green) and stuck it in there. Prrr super quiet. Crazy but it works and doesnt affect filtration.
Filter pad is the same thing and works well. W/B and tell me how it worked! :D

I rolled up a new kitchen cleaning sponge (the thin one thats abrasive and green) and stuck it in there.

Get that out of there. Lots of kitchen sponges are laced with chemicals and infact many of them have disclamers on them about not to be used for aquariums. A prefilter sponge is fine but I would suggest something a bit more aquarium safe.

and I would also question why you were told not to have the tank plumbing at least below the surface of the sump tank water. The only thing I can think of was if they thought you were going to have a refugium and they were concerned about you stirring up your substrate. DEFFINITLY put the tube from your tank below the surface of the water in your sump. That will help a lot of your noise, and I'll concur w/ fishfreak on the filter pad for up above.

Back
Top Bottom