Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

overflow noise

We've just begun setting up our new 46 gallon reef aquarium, and have gotten as far as putting in the live rock and starting water circulation going with a hang-on-the-back overflow system that goes to a sump (skimmer in the sump), with a pump that returns the water to the main tank. My problem is that the setup is really noisy. It was actually even worse, but my husband put a straw into the water vortex that flows down to the hose, getting rid of the awful "blurping" noise from air getting sucked in along with the water. However, it is still quite loud (like running the faucet to fill your tub). The major sources of noise are
1. the water splashing from the siphon into the big water reservoir of the overflow that sits behind the tank, right before it flows down into the hose and
2. the water splashing into the sump from the end of the hose, which is about 1 -2 inches above water surface level (we were told it is a bad idea to have the hose go to the bottom of the sump, though I don't know why).

Any idea what I can do about either/both of these problems? I have been around other aquariums, and have never heard one NEARLY as loud as ours, so I feel certain that we've set up something not quite right.

Thanks for your help,
Andrea

Old 12-06-2003, 03:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Tierhog
I rolled up a new kitchen cleaning sponge (the thin one thats abrasive and green) and stuck it in there. Prrr super quiet. Crazy but it works and doesnt affect filtration.
Filter pad is the same thing and works well. W/B and tell me how it worked!

Old 12-06-2003, 03:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Tierhog
forgot to check notify...sorry
Old 12-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
I rolled up a new kitchen cleaning sponge (the thin one thats abrasive and green) and stuck it in there.
Get that out of there. Lots of kitchen sponges are laced with chemicals and infact many of them have disclamers on them about not to be used for aquariums. A prefilter sponge is fine but I would suggest something a bit more aquarium safe.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:18 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

and I would also question why you were told not to have the tank plumbing at least below the surface of the sump tank water. The only thing I can think of was if they thought you were going to have a refugium and they were concerned about you stirring up your substrate. DEFFINITLY put the tube from your tank below the surface of the water in your sump. That will help a lot of your noise, and I'll concur w/ fishfreak on the filter pad for up above.

Tags
flow, noise, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com