Painting Back Of Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was gonna start painting the back of the tank today or tomorrow and was wondering if their are any suggestions from you guys. Can I use regular paint, any form of priming, and what precautions should I use? TIA........

I used a flat black oil based enamel on mine and it turned out great IMO. I just cleaned the glass then brushed it on. The only thing to watch out for is it will scratch off if you rub it with anything hard (ie a HOB skimmer). But even that's an easy fix. HTH and good luck!

I used a flat black spray paint. Took it outside, taped the sides of the tank to prevent the spray from getting on the sides, then did 2-3 coats of the spraypaint. It worked great as well.

Latex paint works as well. Think I put about 6 coats on mine - however many it took until I couldn't see light through it anymore. If you're going to use spray paint, just make sure to put the tank top down - or mask off the top - to make sure you don't get any drifting spray on the inside.

i used black acrylic paint. Just cleaned the glass, painted on 4 coats, let dry, looks great. 9 of 10 tanks have been painted. Just haven't gotten around to doing the last one yet.

My tank has been up for 2 years and I JUST got around to painting the back yesterday...not an easy task when it's already up and running - but, I just got some cheap black latex paint (Color Creations brand) at walmart. All they had was satin - no flat, but it worked out great.

As people have said you do have to put a few coats on. The first doesn't really stick well. Think I did 4 coats.

IMO using spray cans gives a better finished look. I used flat black on my 5g nano and it looks almost like a mirror when viewed from the front. I think the next one I do I'm going to go with a nice blue....Spray cans all the way for me!!!

I would use latex that way if you want to remove it ever you can just peel it right off like a sticker.

Well before I read any of these posts yesterday I applied my first coat. I just went with an enamel based paint and used a roller to put it on. Everything it turned out alright and am going to be adding the second coat today. By the way, it would have been a lot smarter to do so before the tank was up and running, but maybe on the next tank......

Back
Top Bottom