peppermint shrimp babies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was feeding my cleanup crew tonight, and i saw that one of my peppermint shrimp was a little weird looking... on the bottom was an unusual looking fuzzy texture, and after i shut down my power heads and skimmer to let the sinking food go to the bottom, i notice hundreds of white things at the top surface of the water... tiny little shrimp. i didnt see them being born/hatched, but they are tiny!

so, what do i do???? im pretty certain that they will die, as i have nothing to feed them with, but should i turn on the Power heads and the skimmer, or let them hang out in the still water for a bit????

never thought i would see this in my tank!!!

~mike

they take a specialized piece of equipment and lots of phytoplankton and small live foods. Very difficult to raise non comercially as I understand.

By the time you get up today, most have been a late nite snack for your other critters. One day, you'll be lucky too see'm hatch at daytime when all the fish, shrimp, and crabs go crazy. If you listen real close you can almost hear'm hollerin', "BUFFET. YIPEE!" :roll:

yeah, i figured they would be KIA... but, i did get to spoil my new clown with some live food. been kinda finiky with the food i have, so some live food really hit the spot.

if i could have raised them i would have, but i dont have the right equipment, nor the right food available.

all the other shrimps in the tank were going nuts trying to catch them as they floated by in the water column... kinda amusing to see clawed arms blindly flailing about trying to snag tiny baby shrimp.

~mike

Mine always release their fry after a feeding in my tank. The shrimp will jump/swim up to the water surface and POP. Next thing you know, a few hundred little shrimp are floating around and my recently fed fish will pig out until none of the fry are left. Amazingly, they normally always release them on Sundays.

my peppermints have the white underbellies every 2-3 weeks... I had always assumed they were eggs, and well I doubt if any have made it :p

Back
Top Bottom