Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Peroxide and sponges

This weekend, I will have to do a peroxide dip on one of my zoa colonies that has some red hair encroaching. I know the zoas will be fine, but I have a pineapple sponge, and what appear to be a few baby feather dusters on the same piece of rock as well. Will the peroxide kill them as well? (I'm hoping not...)

Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sponge yes. Not sure on Feather duster.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's very likely a yes on the feather duster
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dang. Any way I could save them ahead of time? Does pulling the sponge off the rock kill it?

If not, I'll pull it anyway, since I don't want any unavoidable extra DOCs in the tank after the treatment.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

If you have a syringe, turkey baster, or something of that nature, you can spot treat the red hair and not affect anything around it. We use it as treatment all the time on the FW side for planted tanks.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, the red hair is entagled in my zoas, so spot treating isn't really going to be possible. It's not a bad "infestation", but I want to nip it in the bud (see my post on "red stick thing").
Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Dang. Any way I could save them ahead of time? Does pulling the sponge off the rock kill it?

If not, I'll pull it anyway, since I don't want any unavoidable extra DOCs in the tank after the treatment.
Yeah, you certainly can pull the sponge off before treating it. Heck, you can even blend them up in a food processor to make more of them
Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Yeah, you certainly can pull the sponge off before treating it. Heck, you can even blend them up in a food processor to make more of them
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
If you have a syringe, turkey baster, or something of that nature, you can spot treat the red hair and not affect anything around it. We use it as treatment all the time on the FW side for planted tanks.
When you spot treat, is it 100% peroxide, or the 4:1 mix? I have a few spots on the frag mounts for my frogspawn and torch I'd like to get rid of.

I did the "soak" on the zoa chunk yesterday. I made sure the zoas were closed up before I dunked them, and I let them sit for a minute or two. I did a good rinse in some clean water and put them back in the tank. After a little while, they all opened up again.

The red hair looks like it's starting to come off, but I will give it a week to see how it goes.

Tags
sponge, sponges

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com