Peroxide and sponges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
This weekend, I will have to do a peroxide dip on one of my zoa colonies that has some red hair encroaching. I know the zoas will be fine, but I have a pineapple sponge, and what appear to be a few baby feather dusters on the same piece of rock as well. Will the peroxide kill them as well? (I'm hoping not...)

Dang. Any way I could save them ahead of time? Does pulling the sponge off the rock kill it?

If not, I'll pull it anyway, since I don't want any unavoidable extra DOCs in the tank after the treatment.

If you have a syringe, turkey baster, or something of that nature, you can spot treat the red hair and not affect anything around it. We use it as treatment all the time on the FW side for planted tanks.

Unfortunately, the red hair is entagled in my zoas, so spot treating isn't really going to be possible. It's not a bad "infestation", but I want to nip it in the bud (see my post on "red stick thing").

Dang. Any way I could save them ahead of time? Does pulling the sponge off the rock kill it?

If not, I'll pull it anyway, since I don't want any unavoidable extra DOCs in the tank after the treatment.

Yeah, you certainly can pull the sponge off before treating it. Heck, you can even blend them up in a food processor to make more of them :)

If you have a syringe, turkey baster, or something of that nature, you can spot treat the red hair and not affect anything around it. We use it as treatment all the time on the FW side for planted tanks.

When you spot treat, is it 100% peroxide, or the 4:1 mix? I have a few spots on the frag mounts for my frogspawn and torch I'd like to get rid of.

I did the "soak" on the zoa chunk yesterday. I made sure the zoas were closed up before I dunked them, and I let them sit for a minute or two. I did a good rinse in some clean water and put them back in the tank. After a little while, they all opened up again.

The red hair looks like it's starting to come off, but I will give it a week to see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom