Ph concerns....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i got my controller for christmas and have a Ph probe which tracks my Ph 24/7. I knew I had been running a tad low but it was pretty consistent so I let it be.

BUT according to the probe I'm running between 7.8 in the AM and reaching a high of 8.1 before lights go out. :-(

I have uber surface agitation with 3 powerheads and a return line and I've been keeping my doors and windows open more so the inside air is well circulated.

I guess the question I have if it's consistent should I be worried? It was a stable 8.3 according to API tests while I was dosing kalkwasser but I have discontinued that for now due to issues with my corals and the fact it didnt' keep my alkalinity and calcium stable. lol

So what do I do? I'm hesitant to add chemical buffers that I have on hand but not sure if I should just leave it be or do soemthing proactive. lol

I just did a huge water change 4 days ago with instant ocean reef crystals if that matters any.

Thanks for any help or input on this everyone!

Calibrate ur probe even though they say it's done. I had issues with my orp probe from them

Hardridge said:
Calibrate ur probe even though they say it's done. I had issues with my orp probe from them

How do u like controller so far

I recalibrated again this morning. :) I LOVE the controller so far. It's so easy to use and program, very glad I got it.

Carey, what is your KH value? I like to try to stay PH 8.1 to 8.3 and I do it by alternate light cycles on my algae scrubber vs the display tank AND dripping Kalkwasser at night. I thing swinging more than a few points can damage some creatures and this is a common thing. A C02 reactor tied into your controller really works, but is overkill for most people. I would drip Kalk.

Carey, what is your KH value? I like to try to stay PH 8.1 to 8.3 and I do it by alternate light cycles on my algae scrubber vs the display tank AND dripping Kalkwasser at night. I thing swinging more than a few points can damage some creatures and this is a common thing. A C02 reactor tied into your controller really works, but is overkill for most people. I would drip Kalk.

At what value would you set the co2 to drip on the controller in comparison to the ph value??

I will probably get slammed for this but, I don't bother to test for PH. I was taught that you test for Alk and Cal and Mag and ph will be taken care of. That assumes that you have good water flow and surface agitation.It has worked for me for 6 years now.

ccCapt said:
I wouldn't worry about it.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"the pH range from 7.8 to 8.5 is an acceptable range for reef aquaria"

I believe that if you let your tank swing from 7.6 to 8.4 in 24 hours, over and over again, that stuff will suffer. If you are stable within a few points of that range you're okay, but most of us try to stay on the higher side. Your buffering (alk) should hold you back from really wild swings anyway. It is why some don't even check PH, because if your KH is high it's very hard for the tank to acidify and the PH to crash. But if your bio load is as high as mine is, you can really still see a swing that makes me uncomfortable, so I drip Kalk.

The ocean swings from 7.8 in the morning to 8.6 at night as lon as its never under 7 or above 9 but is usualy stable and varies the same evry day the fish will adapt just as they do in the ocean no worries,ph is a highly overated chem its more about salinity and biological diversity to have the most "niches" as possible filled in ur tank! And btw are controlers expencive cuz i want 1!

See i was dosing Kalk in with my ATO water and i lost two SPS corals. :-( So I stopped the kalk. My alkalinity is always on the low side too. I am waiting for tuesday when BRS delivers my jugs and measuring stuff for dosing 2 part.

My Ph peaked at 8.02 today and since lights are out I figure it will be dropping again.

So should I be worried with a range of 7.8 to 8.0 or so? I kinda figured the stability would be of more concern than adjusting all the time to get to the 8.3.

carey said:
See i was dosing Kalk in with my ATO water and i lost two SPS corals. :-( So I stopped the kalk. My alkalinity is always on the low side too. I am waiting for tuesday when BRS delivers my jugs and measuring stuff for dosing 2 part.

My Ph peaked at 8.02 today and since lights are out I figure it will be dropping again.

So should I be worried with a range of 7.8 to 8.0 or so? I kinda figured the stability would be of more concern than adjusting all the time to get to the 8.3.

Yes, the stability is the key. In the open ocean, a lot more can be tolerated than in a closed system where everything is artificial, even the water. Get your KH worked up slowly, a two part solution works pretty well. I don't know how you lost SPS with Kalk unless you hit the tank with too much. Kalk is more about calcium than alkalinity. But it does raise PH as it runs about a PH of 10-12. I don't think chasing the PH makes much sense at this point until KH is higher. Just do it all slowly.

Back
Top Bottom