Phosphate Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the general opinion on these devices? Can anyone recommend a good HOB system for my 30 Gal. Deep Blue Coral tank? I don't have a major algae problem but I do have a minor Cyano problem. I do not feed my tank and the only fish I have is a Psychedelic Dragonet that must b feeding the Cyano thru the normal food cycle. (Copepods)

Yes, it's behooving as to why I have even the tiniest Cyano problem. I'm OCD about water quality, purity, etc. and yet this stuff creeps in still. This Dragonet must b crapping constantly. I was just wondering if a phosphate reactor is worth troubling with. I don't want to starve my Copepods or CUC by removing all the good algae. I've had this problem before as my BioCube went thru a Cyano stage. But it came and went mysteriously. This bacteria in my 30Gal. seems to b hanging in there for some reason

Yes. I have done this as well. Unfortunately the little bit of good algae suffers and the Cyano returns when I crank up my Radions again. It's seriously a catch 22. I notice a reduction in copepods when the good algae begins to disappear and I don't want my Dragonet to starve as this is his only food source. I've been contemplating a phosphate reactor to compliment my skimmer along with the filter but I can't seem to find much info on how well these things work

I have a phosphate reactor and it does indeed work well at reducing phosphates.

I have found that regular old algae is great for pods to live in, my dragonets are always hunting in my algae patches. lol

But if you wanna reduce the phosphates then I would try the reactor. just run regular GFO in it and within a day or two you will see a reduction. I have both a two little fishies reactor as well as a BRS reactor and both work well.

Hope that helps a bit

Same here two little fishes and bulk reef gfo my phosphates are always 0

Yep, I have the two little fishes reactor as well hanging on the back of my sump. It would be really ugly in the display tank though.

Cyano seems to come for me after a new setup after the diatoms go away. I always resort to chemicals to kill it. Just couldn't get rid of it no matter what I did.

Yeah. Don't wanna resort to chemicals. They tend to unbalance the nature of things. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a Cyano eating organism that won't bother anything else. That would make someone a wealthy person

Back
Top Bottom