Picking Fish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeGiNeR_7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a reef aquarium and have done a lot of reading and researching. I am trying to decide what fish I want in my aquarium but have read a lot of things that contradictory. I am looking for fish that are are reef and invertabrate safe. The fish I am interested in are dwarf angel, butterfly, clown, tang, dragonet, and I was told by the guy at my aquarium store to start with a damsel because it is docile. I also like the triggers and puffers because there different but I have heard bad things. Which of these fish would be best? Can I introduce a puffer or trigger into the mix?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
dwarf angel
Not considered 100% reef safe. Some people have kept them in reef tanks with no trouble. I have never found one that will leave my corals alone. It is always a gamble.
butterfly
Very few butterlies are actually reef safe. The ones that are are considered difficult to keep. I have a copperband in my reef and it leaves everything alone. It did clean out my feather duster population in the begining. Getting butterflies to readily accept prepared foods is a problem.
Perfect reef fish. They can be aggressive toward each other so do not mix species and if you want more then one, try to get a mated pair.
Another good choice for a reef. Minimum of a 75gal tank for one tang. They need lots of swimming room. Also aggressive so mmake this the last addition.
These fish have very specific dietary needs and require a mature tank with LOTS of LR and a thriving pod population. A very poor choice for small or new tanks.
I was told by the guy at my aquarium store to start with a damsel because it is docile
It kind of depends on the species, however, most damsels are very aggressive little fish and can terrorize other tank mates.
Can I introduce a puffer or trigger into the mix?
Not if you want a reef with mobile inverts. They will eat any shrimp, crabs and snails in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom