Pictures of my attempt at propagating Lobophyllia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been intrigued to try this for forever now, and never took the time to do it. Tonight I decided to do it and take some pictures so everyone can see what I'm talkin about and attempt it themselves. It was fairly easy to do, and we can all do our part in conservation, right? :)

It's been my understanding from listening in on frag workshops that you can propogate some LPS corals by the small little buds that grow on their skeleton, by simply carving them off with a knife and attaching them to a piece of rock rubble.

The two pieces I did may be too small to make it, but it's worth a try.

I'd appreciate anybody's comments if they have tried this, or have heard of it being done successfully, or have any tips for me. I'd like this to be succesful and see how quickly they can grow, propogate.

By the way, I took these two buds off of a Lobophyllia sp. brain. If they are succesful I am going to try with a Torch. The Torch has numerous of these buds on it, but I can't get the clowns to leave me alone long enough to remove it from the tank.

Attachments

• img_1609__medium__160.jpg
    img_1609__medium__160.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 94
  • img_1612__medium__120.jpg
    img_1612__medium__120.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 77
I have done small buds of a frogspawn but I never noticed anything on a lobo when I had one. I always assumed that a dremel would be used on one of those to cut off a whole section.

The buds I have done on frogspawn have grown pretty well. The larger branches are easier to handle though.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip ellisz. Next time I attempt this, I will definitley try and cut off bigger portions. That was my first mistake. The rock I had them on tumbled behind my liverock and when I finally got it out last night the buds didn't look so hot. But we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom