play sand in Michigan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrier

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I am starting up a salt water tank and have had trouble finding the right play sand. Based on what I've read in the previous play sand posts, the "best" brands to get are Southdown or Old Castle. Unfortunately, I've called about a dozen places in the area (several Home Depots, Lowes, Meijers, plus some local gravel/landscaping places) and no luck! I've only found Durascape's "Leisure Lanscapes," but I tried the vinegar test and nothing happened. A HD about an hour away says they have Dixie Sand. Anyone try this stuff?

I'd love to hear from anyone out there living in Michigan. I'm currently in the mid-Michigan area (Lansing) but would be willing to make a trip a little out of the way.

I know the silicate sands are OK to use, but I'm patient and would rather do this right and will wait until I exhaust all my opportunities to get the best sand possible.

BTW, great website! I find myself surfing the various forum topics for hours at night. I've learned a ton!

I had the same problem...wrong part of the country to get the 'right' kind of sand.
I ended up paying the LFS $50 for caribsea's Argamax sand.
Not exactly the ideal price for sand...but like you, I wanted to do it with the best equipment I could afford, and that $50 was one of the cheaper expenses :)

Back
Top Bottom