Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree. Not enough light. And no, you can keep an anemone under a lot less light than what's needed for acropora.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would concentrate on your lights. You should be aware that the combination of lighting can affect the colors reflected by corals. Some corals would show their magnificent colors under actinic or blue light but would look faded out under full spectrum. You may need to experiment which combination you would prefer. If it is suspected that intensity is too strong, you can use screen to dampen them. You can also just turn off one of them and make observation for several days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Also not all t5 fixtures are the same. Does it have individual reflectors?
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
They all need about the same lighting requirements
I wish this were the case but my experience with RBTA and SPS corals has shown otherwise. My RBTA was happier than my LPS corals under my old lights and always stayed in one place while my LPS/SPS corals did not do as well. Once I put better lights my frogspawn grew an extra head within two weeks and my SPS corals have shown growth as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

@bribo12 Indeed.

I have this fixture in 2 X 36": Wave Point T5 HO Lighting Fixtures

Bulbs are posted in the OP.

I was going off memory (late) last night in my original post and was a bit off. The lights are sitting 8" from the water surface.

FWIW, here's a FTS.

photo (1).JPG
Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know I seem fixated on it, but no one has given any thoughts to the fact that I have __never__ tested above 0 for nitrates or phosphates. I do realize there's a good chance my chaeto is consuming them.

But wouldn't I expect to get to say 5 on a nitrates reading? I read about people who struggle to get to 40 with low bioload, minimal feedings/etc in large tanks. Why have I never gotten a reading (in either of my tanks), when I overfeed and it is arguable I'm overstocked.

I guess this is why I keep coming back to wondering if the corals are starving from lack of nutrients in the water.

Also these threads are what led me down this path:

Ultra low nutrients, poor SPS colors. - Reef Central Online Community
New study documents increased growth of staghorn Acropora in higher phosphate levels

If you think continuing to lower my lights would help, I'll definitely try it out (slowly)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaker View Post
I know I seem fixated on it, but no one has given any thoughts to the fact that I have __never__ tested above 0 for nitrates or phosphates.
Your bioload is fairy light for a 32 gal system including the sump and if multiple test have indicated 0 reads on nitrates and phosphates then they are probably true.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
If you think continuing to lower my lights would help, I'll definitely try it out (slowly)

I do and it's a good start. Bribo has an MP10 running at 40% capacity on a 20 gallon reef and it seems to be working for it. So I would also turn the flow down a little.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I know I seem fixated on it, but no one has given any thoughts to the fact that I have __never__ tested above 0 for nitrates or phosphates. I do realize there's a good chance my chaeto is consuming them.

But wouldn't I expect to get to say 5 on a nitrates reading? I read about people who struggle to get to 40 with low bioload, minimal feedings/etc in large tanks. Why have I never gotten a reading (in either of my tanks), when I overfeed and it is arguable I'm overstocked.

I guess this is why I keep coming back to wondering if the corals are starving from lack of nutrients in the water.

Also these threads are what led me down this path:

Ultra low nutrients, poor SPS colors. - Reef Central Online Community
New study documents increased growth of staghorn Acropora in higher phosphate levels

Yes corals need phosphate to grow and it is preferred to have not less than 0.03 ppm. You can just turn off your skimmer for a while until you get the right phosphate level. I would do the different suggested advice one at a time though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So this is a 12 g display? If so that's a lot of flow. Try turning down the mp10 and maybe ditching the k-nano all together

Tags
color, sps, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com