Possible Cleaner Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacu Man

Aquarium Advice Activist
my 20 gal with a coral beauty and 2 blue chromis are doing great, and i saw a cleaner wrasse the other day and i was wondering if i could add a cleaner wrasse to the mix with no probs (also there are inverts in the tank)

IMO, cleaner wrasses should be left in the ocean. They almost never take to prepared foods and derive little nutrition from them if they do. It is very rarte to see one last more than a month or two in captivity ;)

They are specialized eater. Their mouth if made specifically for parasites, so unless you have a large fish community with lots of parasites, your out of luck. They should not be sold in the trade but you see it way too often.

I never used a cleaner wrasse but I did use a Cleaner Shrimp and if he doesn't clean the fish he is eating whatever food I am feeding the fish with np a tall. He almost doubled in size in my tank until my a cap on my intake tube for my canister filter fell off and the suction was too great for him when he passed by.

Jc

im glad i always post here before anything, to aviod such things as these, thanks you guys.

I am just curious. Are neon gobies the same way or will they eat prepared food too?

Neon and sharknose gobies are much easier to acclimate to aquarium life and will do much the same job as a cleaner wrasse. They do not do well in a newly established tank though.

As always, do not rely on these guys to help with parasite elimintaion. They are not a means to an end but rather a temporary stop gap.

Cheers
Steve

I have a neon I love he he eats great I love it when he cleans the yellow tang and the butterfly I am trying to get a picture of them its funny cause the tang anoys him constantly to clean him follows him around and moves sidways toward him its funn he is a great fish imo

Yeah thats the main reason i want em is cuz they are a tank raised fish and they are pretty cool looking to. Eating parasites would just be an extra ;)

FYI. I have 2 cleaner wrasse in my 90 gal with a light fish load not many if any parasites (thanks to them). I have had them in the tank for approx 1month now and are doing fine. the first day they took right to frozen brine shrimp and see them still cleaning others as well. they also supply great movement in the tank.......

FYI. I have 2 cleaner wrasse in my 90 gal with a light fish load not many if any parasites (thanks to them). I have had them in the tank for approx 1month now and are doing fine. the first day they took right to frozen brine shrimp and see them still cleaning others as well. they also supply great movement in the tank.......

yes mine was tank raised from dr foster and smith i am very happy with him and the other fish i got

Back
Top Bottom